question

wiringocd avatar image
wiringocd asked

Wiring inverters to feed transfer switch

Customer brought in his RV that he wired him self. He has the 50 amp shore chord wired directly to Inverters. L1 and L2 split to each inverter. neutral and ground are shared in a junction box.

The output of the inverters are wired to the automatic transfer switch again with Neutral and grounds shared from each leg. Never saw a system wired this way and his automatic transfer switch is constantly trying to latch.

Inverters are programmed for split phase 180 with returning. So that part seems correct.

20230818-123250.jpg

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

Um yeah, I would never wire it like that. Since there is a ATS I'm assuming there is a generator. The multi's need to be in between the ATS and the main breaker panel. How does the owner expect to charge the batteries from the generator? I would change it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wiringocd avatar image
wiringocd answered ·

Customer is using firefly system and when the inverters were hooked up between the ATS the ATS was not sensing the voltage and was shedding the whole coach. Firefly offers no support for victron equipment. So by feeding shore to inverters then output to ATS the firefly system would always have voltage sense so that the coach could be operated.

1 comment
2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas commented ·

Ah ok, that changes things. I have ran into this in the field myself on a few installs. Add an ATS between the shore input and the multi's and move the generator input so that way both shore and generator can be fed to the multi's, and voltage will continue to be sensed by the original ATS and firefly system when inverting.

0 Likes 0 ·