question

patches avatar image
patches asked

Can Quattro 277V 15kva handle both 120v and 240v load circuits at once?

I have an off-grid system I'm designing that involves both 120v load circuits and 240v load circuits (water heater). Can the Quattro Inverter/Charger 277V unit handle both 120v and 240v load circuits? Or do I need two separate inverters for each circuit type?

offgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Patches

The inverter can only invert one voltage.

You would either need a transformer or a second inverter system.

An element if it is a simple control just wont heat up to full wattage on the lower voltage system.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

patches avatar image
patches answered ·

Thanks for responding @Alexandra

My project is an off-grid tiny home. The inverter electrical system will operate from a solar charged battery bank.

Most of the equipment requires 120v circuits. I'd like to have a 240v water heater.

Is there a way to have one inverter system that provides both 120v and 240v circuits while also running from a single battery bank without having to have two separate inverter systems each with a separate dedicated battery bank to avoid the complication of having to load balance the solar panels to charge two sets of battery banks separately but efficiently?

3 comments
2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas commented ·

It sounds like you are most likely referring to a north American 120/240 split phase setup. If so you have 2 options. You can install 2 inverters in split phase configuration which will provide 120/240 split phase power. Option 2 is to use one inverter of adequate size for the combined loads and use a autotransformer for the 240 volt load. Both options can be done with a single battery bank.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ derrick thomas commented ·

Do you want a 120v based system? Potentially also a grid/gen supply of 120v as well?

You can have the above suggested split phase setup, sou you would likely get 2x 8kva inverters then. not an easy first time inverter setup.

Or a transformer; which is the simplest for your set up on a 15kVa.

Victron do have a single unit split phase 120/240 but it is a 3kVa.

0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas Alexandra ♦ commented ·

"Victron do have a single unit split phase 120/240 but it is a 3kVa."

Are you referring to the 2x120? If so this is not actually a split phase unit. It only passes thru split phase if split phase is available on the input, but it is in fact a single 120v inverter.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources