question

Michael Schmidt avatar image
Michael Schmidt asked

Using EM24 and Fronius Smartmeter together

Hello im Using 2 Fronius Inverters in grid mode (not microgrid) and a multiplus II 48/3000.

Everything is fine but i cant use dynamic feed in (70% od installed pv generator power) without using a fronius smartmeter.

is it possible to use both of the smartmeters?

The em24 connected to venus and the fronius to fronius.

Best regards

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
sean avatar image
sean answered ยท

I had a Fronius Primo and EM24 system installed prior to installing the Victron ESS, which required the ET112 - they work very well, but in hindsight I do wonder if the systems could share the data coming from just a single smart meter, negating the apparent requirement to have both installed.

So the short answer to your question is yes it is possible to use both smart meters - but I'd like confirmation as to if both are actually required.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hansbaer avatar image hansbaer commented ยท

Hey Sean,

any new information about this topic above?

Iยดm currently in the same situation. I have a fronius symo and fronius smart meter and I cannot believe, that I need an additional SM, even though the Fronius SM is providing modbus TCP or RTU..

0 Likes 0 ยท
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ยท

Hi,

Having both the victron and the fronius take data from one meter is not possible.

Also, Our documentation says that its not possible to use both the victron meter and fronius smart meter in one system: both systems will then be regulating on the same point, leading to oscillations and other instability.

However, after re-thinking that, you might be fine as long as you donโ€™t configure the Fronius to zero feedin. Not on the GX device and also not by itself. Ie setting it to 70% export might work.

Note that this is just an idea, its not been tested at all in r&d.

8 comments
2 |3000

sean avatar image sean commented ยท

Isn't the above comment somewhat contradictory ?

By stating you cant have data sharing from a single meter implies the need for both.

But apparently your documentation states you cant have both meters on one system, implying the use of just a single meter ?

I'm very happy with how my system works, but could not find any UK based installer with any experience of installing a Fronius/MPII ESS when I sought clarification regarding the need for one or both meters - and the official documentation of such an installation is somewhat limited in terms of detail (I have no issue with that), so certain aspects of my configuration were based on perturb and observe.

I do not export limit now, but did for a few weeks initially and the system performed as expected - sharing usage data from just a single smart meter would ""nice""

0 Likes 0 ยท
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) โ™ฆโ™ฆ sean commented ยท

Hi Sean,

Its not contradictionary, but I am having difficulty putting to words what I'm trying to explain. Let me try again:

What cannot be done is setting both the Fronius itself to not export at all, and the Victron to not export as well. The reason for that is that it would lead to two individual power systems in one installation, both measuring, and both trying to reach to 0W situation. They'll influence each other and hence the oscillations. Same situation when they'd read from the same meter.

That is what the 'you can't use the Fronius Smart Meter as well' remark in the documentation is about.

What you can do, is enable Fronius Zero Feed-in on our GX Device, and then that will control the Fronius inverter and power limit it. The Fronius will then not do any metering, and no power limiting control; it will just action on the commands received by the GX Device. This is documented in the ESS Manual, chapter 4.3.11.

0 Likes 0 ยท
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) โ™ฆโ™ฆ mvader (Victron Energy) โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

One question: in your situation, ie not limiting the export, why would you want or need a meter on the Fronius?

0 Likes 0 ยท
sean avatar image sean mvader (Victron Energy) โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

Monitoring usage and production - via SolarWeb.

0 Likes 0 ยท
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) โ™ฆโ™ฆ sean commented ยท

ah ok. In that case its fine to use both meters.

The problems arise in above described situation: making both systems, apart from each other, regulate the export to the grid.

0 Likes 0 ยท
sean avatar image sean mvader (Victron Energy) โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

I've just read the chapter you mentioned again, but I still cant see much (if anything) by way of an explanation as to twin meter systems, or their respective functionality within it.

But your comments do now help clarify, thank you.

I'll enable export limiting again and observe.

0 Likes 0 ยท
0 Likes 0 ยท
bambo avatar image bambo commented ยท
I have two fronius converters, one primo, one galvo. The galvo always fires all he has to the grid.

The primo is coupled with a fronius smart meter and limits itself to 70% (of both inverters primo and galvo max installed kwp) exporting to the grid.

grid --- fronius sm -----------------------------load

| | |

primo | |

galvo |

MPII ----- battery

When i want to install a multiplus II in on-grid mode to only charge battery if energy flows to the grid and discharge battery if energy is coming from the grid and i dont want to use fancy island or off-grid or battery-charge-from-grid.

I dont get the point, why i have to use a second smart meter. I simply don't get it.

0 Likes 0 ยท