question

Scott avatar image
Scott asked

Quattro 8000 overload - not connected

I have a 3 year old Quattro 8000 that is overloading whilst not connected to a load.

The unit went into overload alarm this morning with our night load at about 300w. The CCGX is showing that the load spiked at 5800w at the time it faulted but nothing that produces a high load was turned on.

I have disconnected the generator input and AC output and reset the unit.

It briefly had 230v on the output terminals with no fault showing but then resumed going into overload fault. When switching to On I can hear relays click and a static type sound from inside the unit. I did check the resistance between the AC output terminals and they are now showing 0 ohms between them.

It has also recently developed an issue where it would stop charging from the generator, with stable AC/ frequency being supplied, and I needed to turn it off and back on to restart the charge. No alarms have been triggered.

It is still charging no worries from solar.

I have ordered a VE bus to USB but don't have one atm.

It looks clean inside but I have not pulled any cards to delve any deeper.

Does anyone have any ideas?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Scott,

It's probably best to ask your distributor / dealer / installer to look at the unit.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Scott avatar image
Scott answered ·

It has been looked at by the Victron Repair agent.

Apparently there is a known fault with the ribbon cables from the main board causing this fault. Cables replaced and firmware updated.

1 comment
2 |3000

smokingbro avatar image smokingbro commented ·
Hi Scott, wanted to ask how you got on with the overload issue. I've got a 48/5000 that's doing a similar thing. How did you find out about the ribbon cable issue and where did find replacements???

Jason

0 Likes 0 ·
hisham avatar image
hisham answered ·

Hello I am facing the same issue with my Quattro 8000.

Please let me know if this is known fault, and it is as mentioned above just needs to change the ribbon cable?

Thanks,

2 |3000

jacoballen18 avatar image
jacoballen18 answered ·

Again, anyone have an answer or have an update? I have the same issue with my Quattro 48/5000. Thanks in advance.

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Same as above:

Contact your seller/distributor for repair/exchange.

0 Likes 0 ·
smokingbro avatar image
smokingbro answered ·

Bump. Is there any updates or information regarding this issue??? I have a 48/5000 doing similar things, Overload with virtually no load.

2 |3000