question

justame avatar image
justame asked

Does the size of the Controller change Amperage output with the same input

I have a Victron MPPT Tr VE Can 150V/70A charge controller now supplied by 2400 Watts at 110 Volts producing 68.9 amps. My inverters will charge the 12V battery bank of 4 X 300 AmpLifePros at 180 amps. If I change the controller out to the MPPT Tr VE Can 150-Volt 100 amps, will the array produce enough to get the output amperage up to the 100 Amp output capability of the larger controller?

Reply to

I am showing 962 watts, 9.3 amps and maxed out at the 70 amps and bouncing between 72 amps and back to 69 & 70. With these readings, iI looks like the array could produce around 150 amps out of the 2490 Watts. 2 parallel banks of 3 in series.

My 6 Panels are Maxeon SPR-MAX3-415 Watts, 11.75 rated current A. with Up to 22.2% efficiency. sp_mst_112c_max3_blk_ac_ready_ds_en_ltr_545906 copy.pdf

I have changed out 5AGM 8D Batteries to 4 life Pro 300 Amps batteries, Victron Charge 250 V/100 Amp. Controller and started with 5 of the 415 watt panels in parallel with a 250 V 100 amp charge controller, which had an issue and I had to return it. I got the 150/70 amp, because it was suggested by Tech and was cheaper.

When I asked the man that did my daughter's Solar, he told me I should go to 2 parallel strings of 3 series and I bought another panel, so I could do it.

He builds extremely large systems for States and municipalities, all over the South West and I think he just doesn't want to mess with my little system, now, even though I helped him solve cellular transmissions issues with our Daughter's Solar System of 45 qty 365 watt / 50V, with 5 inverters. 2 Inverters are on outside wall next to us and 3 Inverters and battery banks are in garage. Note: their 45 Solar panels are on our Steel Structured RV Pad Cover.

Our 400 Sq ft motor home uses over 6 times more power than their 3500 sq ft home, that is built like an igloo,!We just paid $385 out of their $456! electric bill! I installed a Service Meter on our side to monitor usage and my wife monitors peak and off peak, etc.

I'm trying to max out what I can do with Solar on our rig to reduce our consumption, so they can see a return on their investment! I'm working with the OFF peak hours and On Peak times between 4 to 7, which makes it kinda tough for my ole brain to handle!

Could I add another 150 V 70 A controller and stack them somehow, so we could maybe get the max capability of the Array, up to 140 Amps? If so what would I need to do and how?

Technical experience:

I have worked about 18 tears Solar for a while with beginner skills, with our total electric 43 ft motor home that had 4qty 100 Watt panels, 2qty 2500 watt Xantrex Inverters, running 2 strings of 120V each. I have experience in Home and Business Electrical supplies and trades, and as a Ford Motor Co. Vehicle Electronics tech in the 70's. I'm 82 a retired Christian Missionary, living in a 2004 Motor home, with the Panel Array mounted tilt-ably for seasonal tilt angles, on 2 trailers next to our daughter in Phoenix. I used all of the skills I The Lord had me learn over the years, in our mission's field work!

I would really, really be willing to accept help from anyone, with the knowledge!

It has been over a 100deg for over a month and still going.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Please do not duplicate questions

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.