question

daren-connor avatar image
daren-connor asked

Multiplus overloaded & couldn't recover after generator shut down.

I have 3 multiplus 48/5000/70 inverters connected to a 15kw Fronius Symo solar inverter with 18kw of solar panels. The other night when the generator switched off, one of the multiplus overloaded & didn't recover until I turned them all off & back on again. There was no load apart from house light. Is there a fault with it?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Daren Connor

You're running very old firmware on the inverters (209) please first update to the latest firmware on the Multi's

Also update the CCGX to the V2.32~2 release candidate just to be sure.

8 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

daren-connor avatar image daren-connor commented ·

How do I update the firmware on the inverters? Don't they update automatically like the ccgx does? I checked the ccgx & it said that it had the latest version.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ daren-connor commented ·

Hi @Daren Connor

You can read it here:
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/updating_firmware:updating_ve.bus_products

If your not familiar with this, it's usually best to ask someone with more experience (like an installer /dealer) to do this for you / together with you.

0 Likes 0 ·
daren-connor avatar image daren-connor Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi, could you please confirm the total solar power of a 3 phase system with 3 x 48/5000/70 multiplus fed by a Fronius Symo 15kw PV inverter fed by 18kw of panels please? I just want to be sure what the PV inverter support assistant requires. Thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·
daren-connor avatar image daren-connor Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

I can't get an answer out of my installer. Why is multiplus sitting at 85% SOC for 2 hours before climbing at the slowest rate on earth for another 2 hours, then I have to run the generator for another 2-3 hours to reach 100%? What configuration could possibly be causing that? It's only done it since the firmware upgrade!

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ daren-connor commented ·

Please ask in a new question so others can find the answer in the future too.

0 Likes 0 ·
daren-connor avatar image daren-connor commented ·

I just checked the multi's & they are running firmware version 209.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B daren-connor commented ·

You can only update the firmware using a MK2 or MK3 unit.

note when you do update the firmware this will reset the Multi,s to there default settings and everything will have to be resetup

so I would sugest that whoever set these up maybe you should contact them to do the firmware upgrade for you

0 Likes 0 ·
daren-connor avatar image daren-connor Paul B commented ·

Hi Shane, it's all good I've had the cables & I've updates firmware through VE config before without any issue. I have all my setting printes & saved in config files. I've checked firmware on all the multi's & the CCGX & they are all up to date, it's just one inverter overloaded & wouldn't recover after the generator shut down.

0 Likes 0 ·