question

mikebamber avatar image
mikebamber asked

Error : remote installation does not seem to have a running Node Red service

Hi all, using a Cerbo GX.

I've been using Node Red for a couple of days, very new to it all, everything great, then I installed SQlite to run something that someone else had coded and my node red installation seems to be broken.

I am not familiar with any of the lower level commands etc of Venus/ Pi etc.

I reinstalled 'Normal' firmware and then 'Large' firmware again and it's not made any difference. Have rebooted the Cerbo. Just get the message above -

Error: remote installation does not seem to have a running Node Red service.

Can anyone suggest what to do to bring back my Node-Red?!

Luckily, I have saved all my work!

Thanks

Mike

Node-RED
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

danjul avatar image danjul commented ·

Im having the same issue here, but its not the yr-issue stated previously, node-red starts and crashes and loops.

See picture below,

1692399361448.png

Also seeing this in log,

@4000000064dff5252cb41974 [info]: loading /data/home/nodered/.node-red/settings-venus.js failed

@4000000064dff5252d2d25bc [info]: loading /data/home/nodered/.node-red/settings-user.js failed

0 Likes 0 ·
1692399361448.png (152.9 KiB)
8 Answers
stefkemirakel avatar image
stefkemirakel answered ·

Hey Mike,
Did you solve the problem yet.
i do have the same issue .......

Stefan

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) avatar image
Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) answered ·

You can start Node-RED in safe mode and fix the problem. See https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:large#q5how_does_safe_mode_work_and_what_is_it.

2 |3000

ottor avatar image
ottor answered ·

Hello Mike

I have had the same problem for more than a week now, also trying the same steps to fix problem without success.

And no, starting Safe Mode does not help.

Any suggestions?

Regards, Otto

1 comment
2 |3000

Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) avatar image Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) ♦ commented ·

It is strange that it won't start in safe mode. The most invasive solution is to wipe everything from /data/home/nodered/.node-red/, but I don't believe that should be needed.

What error does safe mode give you?

0 Likes 0 ·
ottor avatar image
ottor answered ·

Hi Dirk-Jan

Wiping the directory seems very invasive, and I am uncertain of the outcome.

Here is the error msg, which is the same no matter Safe mode or not:

nodered-error-safemode.jpg

1 comment
2 |3000

Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) avatar image Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) ♦ commented ·
Can you access it via your local LAN on https://venus.local:1881/ ?
0 Likes 0 ·
ottor avatar image
ottor answered ·

nodered-error-safemode-local.jpg

No. Basically the same outcome (tried different browser also). And NodeRed is enabled in Settings, and not restarting.

2 |3000

Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) avatar image
Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) answered ·

Can you login to the device via ssh and check /var/log/node-red-venus/current ? that file should give the reason why it won't start.

2 |3000

ottor avatar image
ottor answered ·

/var/log/node-red-venus/current:

nodered-error-current.jpg

6 comments
2 |3000

It looks like the yr.log file permissions is the cause. Can it be that you installed the yr weather node? If so, I’ll test that myself too to check how to fix it.
0 Likes 0 ·
ottor avatar image ottor Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) ♦ commented ·
Yes. I just did a test myself and installing yr.no weather node crashed VRM Node-Red again. Guess I'll find a different weather service :)
0 Likes 0 ·
Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) avatar image Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) ♦ ottor commented ·
Out of experience I know that they are one of the best, especially when you get closer to Norway. But there are alternatives. I'll probably take a closer look at it tomorrow evening.
0 Likes 0 ·
Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) avatar image Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) ♦ Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) ♦ commented ·

Problem lies in this line: https://github.com/tverilytt/NODE-Red/blob/fb07fc06bcdf90f0cc32389ede4d7b61782459b4/yr/yr.js#L26C40-L26C46. Changing that to '/tmp/yr.no' (in '/data/home/nodered/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-yr/yr.js') helps a bit, but then it starts complaining about a missing 'haversine-distance'. Which can be installed from the commandline (`cd /data/home/node-red; npm install haversine-distance'; don't forget to do a `chown -R nodered:nodered /data/home/nodered` afterwards as you don't want the files to be owned by root). And then restart Node-RED.

Probably a better solution: use another weather node.

0 Likes 0 ·
ottor avatar image ottor commented ·

After further research I decided for a remove & re-install, and Node-Red is up and running again

This worked:

1. Keep Large OS enabled
  2. Log in as root via SSH
  3. Remove Node-Red by running the following code:
  4. rm -rf /data/home/nodered/ && svc -t /service/node-red-venus/
  5. Install Normal image via Remote Console
  6. Install Large image via Remote Console
  7. Open Node-Red :)

Thx for all help!

-1 Like -1 ·
mikebamber avatar image mikebamber ottor commented ·
This is how I solved it!
0 Likes 0 ·
jos84 avatar image
jos84 answered ·

I suddenly have the same problem "NodeRed service is not running". I followed above steps but this does not help.

1. Keep Large OS enabled
  2. Log in as root via SSH
  3. Remove Node-Red by running the following code:
    1. rm -rf /data/home/nodered/ && svc -t /service/node-red-venus/
  5. Install Normal image via Remote Console
  6. Install Large image via Remote Console
  7. Open Node-Red :)

Via https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installation/....... I go to my setup and normally use the menu option 'Venus OS Large' to go the node-red environment but that screen remains empty except above error message.

Via https://venus.local:1881/ I can still go the NodeRed environment and import my flows again but all UI nodes are unknown. On the other hand the Victron nodes appear to be ok.

I have not installed extra nodes or made any other changes, I am just using the Victron OS-large as-is. In fact this is the first time I logged in using ssh to do above. As part of the above I upgraded Cerbo-S GX to v3.12.

What could be wrong here and what can I do to resolve this?

7 comments
2 |3000

rait-lotamois avatar image rait-lotamois commented ·
This seems to be an issue when accessing Node-RED via vrm. When I try to access Node-RED from a local network or from betavrm.victronenergy.com then it works.
0 Likes 0 ·
frederic avatar image frederic commented ·

Yes, I have the same "NodeRed service is not running" since yesterday afternoon - evening.

0 Likes 0 ·
patrick-genx avatar image patrick-genx commented ·
Same situation here since 10pm on the 13th november. Impossible to acces to Node Red throught the VRM.
0 Likes 0 ·
jos84 avatar image jos84 patrick-genx commented ·

Something has changed since this morning. I can access node-red via VRM again. The first time I got a message about a certificate. Unfortunately I tried to understand this first before I accepted because when I finally did accept it said the certificate had expired. I did not get the notification anymore on later invocations.

The VRM screen only offers the option to go to node-red, not the option anymore to go to the node-red-UI.

In node-red there are no UI nodes.

I start to believe the expired certificate is the reason things suddenly do not work anymore but I do not understand how this works. Any suggestions?

0 Likes 0 ·
jos84 avatar image jos84 jos84 commented ·

Found it. I need to reinstall node-red-dashboard in node-red. Only problem left was after importing my flow again that these UI nodes are somehow not associated with the nodes in my flow anymore. Reassigning them to a dashboard group fixed that. Pity that save-restore of a flow does not work completely.

0 Likes 0 ·

I was happy too early. After deploying my flow this message pops up in the debug output window. now what?

Your flow credentials file is encrypted using a system-generated key.

If the system-generated key is lost for any reason, your credentials
file will not be recoverable, you will have to delete it and re-enter
your credentials.

You should set your own key using the 'credentialSecret' option in
your settings file. Node-RED will then re-encrypt your credentials
file using your chosen key the next time you deploy a change.
0 Likes 0 ·
totally puzzled but the next day it automagically was resolved
0 Likes 0 ·