question

janvi avatar image
janvi asked

Understanding the Venus GX Power Display

Screenshot from 2023-07-30 13-57-51.png

Attached overview is from my ESS what consists of 6 pcs MP2-5000 with individual phase regulation setup. The shown grid feed in is approximately 24kW. This fits to the MP2-5000 datasheet what specifies 4000 W or 5000 VA what requires a cos phi better 0,8.

The AC loads are below 2kW with L2 slightly asymmetric. Battery charge is 100% and charge/discharge should only happen to limit sudden PV power changes to the 400 Watt/sec grid requirements.

A small DC Power symbol shows probably any disbalance from the equation

PV = ACLoad+GridFeed.

From wiring I know, DC Power is always a sink with about 80W LED light plus Windows PC plus Cerbo-GX plus PoE Switch with phone and cameras. As it is certainly no power source, its value should not go negative.

From the moment, the MP2-5000 touch their 4000 Watt limit, DC Power becomes significantly negative. In attached screendump, PV produces 28kW while 24,4 are feed to the grid and 1,8kW go to the AC loads. There seems a gap of

28-24,4-1,8=1,8kW.

Assume the power meassurements are individual per device, I tried to calculate the Multiplus efficiency with the missing 1,8kW by:

100% - 100%*1,8kW/28kW = 93,6 %

what is inside the expected range for a torroid transformer.

The shown DC Power of 1,5kW is similar to the lost 1,8kW but direction is obviosly wrong. I already ordered a smart shunt at my Victron dealer for more accurate DC load meassurements but unfortunately there seems some delivery time for the moment. As long, I cannot explain any reason for the shown 1478 Watts of DC Power what would be a marvelous thing if they were really generated anywhere. At least the animation is wrong in outgoing direction.

ESSVenus OS
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Janvi

If the dc power is not measured then it is calculated - can be incorrect.

If it is a consumer it is negative, that is correct since it takes power from the battery on DC.

Yes a shunt will make that better. If you don't have dc consumers, though and you have activated it, it will make the calculations worse at this point. You are telling the system there is something there where there isn't.

Typical figures for a torroid are 95% or better. Your inverter efficiency is also dependant on load and how good the 3phase parrallel set up is done. I.e. heat in wiring etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
janvi avatar image
janvi answered ·

The reasons of efficiency always produces a loss of power. Calculated size is approximate correct but the graphics animation should go from left to right for consumed DC power. Actually it is moving from right to left into the battery and from battery out left to right. For small powers the direction is changing occasionally but here it is a reasonable power and direction is always wrong.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.