question

bryce davis avatar image
bryce davis asked

when will the multiple controller update come out?

i was just wondering about the multiple controller update and when it will come out and if it will have support for the 100/50 controllers. I'm about to invest in some 325w solar panels to replace my older 200w solar panels and want to hook up both at the same time

chargersolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
adev avatar image
adev answered ·

How many panels will you have in total?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bryce davis avatar image bryce davis commented ·

I'm planning on 6x325w panels on one controller. and my current 5x200w panels on my other controller

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

hi Bryce. I'm not sure which particular feature(s) you're awaiting, but there must be many thousands of paralleled Victron mppt systems successfully operating already.

Don't let it (whatever it is) hold you back. By all means monitor performance and adjust to suit, but I doubt you'll see anything of concern arise.

2 comments
2 |3000

bryce davis avatar image bryce davis commented ·

i saw a post a few weeks ago where the Victron team commented that they were working on an automatic multi-controller update where you just tie them together in the software and everything after that is automatic they both work together and act as a single controller.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ bryce davis commented ·

Yeh ok. Some people have requested this 'syncing' upgrade, possibly because they observe one mppt backing off first when batt V targets are reached. (manufacturing tolerances, differing wire resistance, etc), and don't like it. But the end result is the same for the batts, whichever mppt is doing the work.

This could also happen with differing temperature compensation between units if they're each relying on their own internal temp readings to determine charge V comp. Something external like a BMV unit could assist there.

I see some value in syncing the steps from Abs to Float, but even then shouldn't differ much in practice.

Again, don't let it hold you back. Some may see it as essential for possibly special applications. Just me, but the terms 'nice to have', 'completeness', 'window dressing' cross my mind. Not to put it down, but doesn't hit my 'needs' list. I do have one of those lists too.. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
grahamm avatar image
grahamm answered ·

Hi. I am planning two 100/15 Smartsolars in parallel with 2 panels (185 each) on one side and 1 panel (185 W) on the other. The discussion about synching or the fact that there are many operating today in || seems unresolved and there seems to be a software update coming to resolve issues.

So: will 2 Smartsolars work nicely together today and provide benefit over one large - say 100/30 ?

I can't seem to find any wiring diagrams to show this - I assume the Battery Outs simply go together but what about the Load outs - are they too shorted together?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic