question

johanz avatar image
johanz asked

Blue Smart charger & Orion Smart DC-Dc

I have just upgraded my RV with Li-Ion batteries & a MultiPlus 11 with a CerboGx, on my existing insulation I have a Orion Smart 24/24-17 DC-DC charger, as my MAN 18/240 truck starter batteries need to be charged regularly I do this by way of a Blue Smart 24/16 charger, NOW my question is I see that when the Blue Smart charger is connected to the starter batteries the Orion Smart DC-DC switches on for 20 seconds showing bulk load, & then off for 10 seconds and then on again, is this a problem? Also I want to connect the 4Amp starter battery outlet from the Multipluss to the starter battery, is this in order or will it cause problems with the DC-DC going into the charge cycle for the RV batteries?

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

johanz avatar image johanz commented ·
To add to the above it looks like that once the Blue smart starter batteries chargers voltage got high enough the Orion Smart DC-DC remained perminatly on charging the Li-Ion batteries & the Blue smart was running hot, has anyone experanced this? any way to solve this problem?
0 Likes 0 ·
mvas avatar image mvas johanz commented ·

Is there a wiring diagram showing how to TURN-OFF the Orion using wire from the Ignition Key?

0 Likes 0 ·
johanz avatar image johanz mvas commented ·
A remote can be connected to the Orion to switch if off, however this in messy & I guess you would also have to switch it off when connected to shore power if the starter battery charger outlet on the Multipluss 11 is connected?
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ johanz commented ·
Orion auto on/off is controlled by input voltage. So as soon as the input voltage rises above the threshold you set, it going to turn on. And while the Blue start is charging, it will come on and stay on until the blue smart thinks batteries full. The Orion load will fool it into staying on.

I think you'll have to use H pin with a switched feed to control the Orion. Or live with the current setup.

On the 4A output, yes that's ok. But it is at house battery voltage. So you may not get the expected current.

0 Likes 0 ·
johanz avatar image johanz kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks for that, looks like the only way will be to fit a switch to turn it off while charging
0 Likes 0 ·
johanz avatar image johanz kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Fitted a remote switch so all fne thank you, you would think that Victron would mention this in their manual
0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers