question

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra asked

Whatsapp (or other messenger) Node Red Integration

Pretty much the title, we have a few smart switches integrated into the Victron Node Red Environment at home and are looking for a way for the system to be able to notify when it has started a task or stopped one.

I have tried the existing pallets for whatsapp node red integration but they don't install, I am guessing they are too old possibly.

Does anyone have something similar up and running?

Node-RED
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @Alexandra,

Not sure this is too useful for you but I use Nextcloud talk, has a api for sending messages (assuming you have a nextcloud server running):

https://help.nextcloud.com/t/how-to-send-talk-message-from-shellscript-via-curl/147645

Alternatively I have friend who uses Signal in node red, not sure if you can send messages to yourself though. That's just in general though not in venus os node red specifically.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Thank you, I will look into it.
0 Likes 0 ·
gerard-van-seventer avatar image
gerard-van-seventer answered ·

I use a Telegram bot. Works both ways (from and to NodeRed)

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Thank you, how did you set it up?
0 Likes 0 ·
gerard-van-seventer avatar image gerard-van-seventer Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Assuming you already have a Telegram account you define a (new) bot via @BotFather. You need the Bot-Name and Token later in the node-red config so you might copy/paste this in a notepad.

In node-red via manage palette you add node-red-contrib-telegrambot. Once installed you can drag the Telegram sender node to the flow.

The first time you edit the sender you have to add the bot config. In there you need the previous copied name and token. Also look at Users and ChatIds, you might use this later to add some extra security if you decide to use the receiver node as well.

To use the sender node I use a function node in where the required fields like type, content, chatid etc. The help function describes this well.

The above is a bit global and not a fully step by step instruction. If desired I could make a more detailed doc but that takes some time to do and I'm not sure if there is sufficient demand for it.

--Gerard

0 Likes 0 ·