question

h2009 avatar image
h2009 asked

Is it possible to convert battery SOC to time

Hi there

I’m looking to see if anyone has a method to convert SOC on the battery to estimated run time left on battery, ideally based on live/5/10/15/30 minute load averages.

Ideally to display on VRM.

I assume there must be away to calculate this like Tesla converts SOC to miles

Thanks.

VRMNode-REDbattery capacity
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Run Time Minutes = Battery Ah x ( %SOC - Min%SOC ) x 60 / Amps

Where Amps is instaneous or avg amps over some previous time frame

Min%SOC is the minimum %SOC you won't go below. 10%, 20%, etc for LiFePO4. 40% for Lead Acid?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kai-fuchs avatar image
kai-fuchs answered ·

The shunts have this function build in, in was expecting they would show it in VRM too...

3 comments
2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·

The time to go is displayed in VRM when the battery is discharging ss calculated by the BMV or SmartShunt.

screenshot-20230723-073139-kindlephoto-707344446.png

2 Likes 2 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ pwfarnell commented ·
Doesn’t help with managed batteries where shunts aren’t used.

The maths is fairly basic, and mostly accurate, I use node red to calculate a time to charged, time to discharged is the same calc in a different order.

0 Likes 0 ·
h2009 avatar image h2009 nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Can you post a screenshot of your node red setup / dash display to give me an idea how to implement it.

Thank you. @nickdb

0 Likes 0 ·