question

matthewbalzan avatar image
matthewbalzan asked

Victron solar and smartshunt

screenshot-20230721-132011.jpgCan someone advise please...i have a victron solar 100/20 and a smartshunt installed on a 225ah battery which I know needs replacement. However I am noticing that when charging with solar the panel is providing 3amp whilst battery shows only an intake of around 1amp. This means I have a load of 2amp... however I have nothing on (just the mains) if I switch off mains the amps generated by the panel will equal that being absorbed by the battery. Any thoughts please?

MPPT SmartSolarSmartShuntvictron
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
When you say just mains... Is there an inverter or charger on?

Are you sure the solar isnt providing DC power to that item?

0 Likes 0 ·
matthewbalzan avatar image matthewbalzan Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Charger should be off without shore power....am not sure if the boat has an inverter but don't think so. Another strange thing is that when I disconnected the solar panel this mysterious load decreased to 0.7amp and went up to 2 amp after I reconnected.... Then started floating, last I checked it was just 0.99 amp

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ matthewbalzan commented ·

You will need to disconnect everything from the shunt (load sidel and see what is happening there. If it reads Zero Amps then it may (and where i am thinking the issues is) be wiring related.

0 Likes 0 ·
matthewbalzan avatar image matthewbalzan Alexandra ♦ commented ·
I had recently upgraded some wiring since the supply cable from mains to fuse box was having a voltage drop (it was only 6mm thick) and added two 16mm wires to it and the voltage drop issue was resolved.

On another note, my bow thruster battery is connected with the house battery which is connected to the shunt...perhaps it is taking some load itself?

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

When installing shunts for metering batteries, you should have one shunt per battery (bank), and ensure that NOTHING ELSE is connected to the battery negative terminal other than the connection to the shunt. Otherwise, the shunt will not monitor other currents flowing from the battery, and can't do its job properly...

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

That missing current is probably your thruster battery.

4 comments
2 |3000

matthewbalzan avatar image matthewbalzan commented ·

Thanks. I only have the battery negative on battery side of shunt. When I said the thruster battery is connected with house battery I meant that there is a connection at the main switch of the house battery not a connection on the battery itself

0 Likes 0 ·
matthewbalzan avatar image matthewbalzan commented ·

So it is a normal thing? Would that stabilise over time?

The curious thing is that this missing current is approx 2.5amp with the solar panel connected and approx 1amp with panel disconnected. If the current is being taken by the thruster battery would this be explained because with the panel connected there would be more current flowing into the batteries?

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem matthewbalzan commented ·
Probably that the voltage is slightly higher with the solar panels providing power to the system.
0 Likes 0 ·
matthewbalzan avatar image matthewbalzan Kevin Windrem commented ·
Thanks for info. I hope I am not doing any damage to the batteries this way. I have a relay switch which shuts off the supply between the two batteries when I turn the thruster on...in fact I checked and as soon as I did that the load went to 0
0 Likes 0 ·
matthewbalzan avatar image
matthewbalzan answered ·

On another note, I was given advice to remove the charge relay I currently have between house and thruster batteries and replace it with a victron dc to dc charger, so that I can remotely switch off the charge between batteries when I am on anchor. However, the relay I have at the moment shuts down the connection automatically when operating the thruster to protect the house battery from a heavy load. Will a dc to dc charger do the same automatically? Thanks

2 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

DC-DC chargers have on/off control of some kind so the mechanism that opens the relay when using the thruster could be connected to the DC-DC charger to shut it down. It would not happen automatically.

A relay will not provide any control over the direction of charge. The batteries are simply connected in parallel and energy will transfer from the battery with the highest voltage to the battery with the lowest voltage, until the two batteries are in balance.

Relays are often used to link a starter and house battery so the alternator connected to the starter battery will also charge the house battery. The relay is only closed when the engine is running to insure the direction of charge is from starter to house battery. Vehicles are sometimes fitted with a "starter boost" switch which closes the relay so that the vehicle can be started when the starter battery that is too depleted to start the engine on it's own.

A DC-DC charger will allow transfer energy in only one direction (depending on the input/output connections) even with mixed chemistries (e.g., lead-acid charging lithium) and regardless of relative voltage of the two batteries. (There are also some bidirectional chargers but I believe there is still a way to control charge direction.) DC-DC chargers also limit charging current to the battery, especially important if the battery to be charged is lithium.
0 Likes 0 ·
matthewbalzan avatar image matthewbalzan Kevin Windrem commented ·
Thanks for info. In that case if switching is not done automatically i would prefer adding another main switch in the line connecting both batteries to switch it off manually when not needed
0 Likes 0 ·