question

speedtorquing avatar image
speedtorquing asked

Will a BMV700 plug and play with Venus GX?

Will a BMV700 plug and play with a Venus GX system? The manual for the Venus suggests so via the VE Direct 2 port with the appropriate VE cable. I appreciate we can connect via wifi but the location is off grid and the 4G based wifi / internet is unreliable.

Is anyone able to advise if this basic addition would display battery %? Would the BMV screen get power from the Ve direct cable or would it need power from the RJ12? Many thanks

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@speedtorquing

You connect the BMV to its own display (RJ12) then that display connects to the GX with the Ve direct cable.

You still also need to program it either manually or with a ve direct to BT dongle. Can't do it through the GX unless it is up to date and on the VRM.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

It's not plug and play. You have to make the correct settings for your system.

But it should work, once set correctly.

The BMV shunt and display are getting power from the battery, not from Venus GX (you do have to install the shunt, too).

Wi-Fi/LAN/4G have nothing to do with the BMV.

Did you bought the BMV700 already? If not,consider purchasing a BMV712 or a SmartSunt instead (which one depends on your needs/usage). Both have Bluetooth.

2 |3000

speedtorquing avatar image
speedtorquing answered ·

Thank you both

I had hoped to essentially hard wire a monitor to display battery % as I can’t access the Venus system if the wifi drops

It’s obviously a bit more involved but I will consider a BMV712 and wiring the shunt

Thanks again

2 |3000