question

no1johnkilner avatar image
no1johnkilner asked

Charging AGM batteries with solar mppt 75/15

Hello

I have a solar panel and a victron Mppt 75/15 charging my motorhome batteries. I wish to change to AGM batteries and have adjusted my mains charger unit to suit. However, am unsure if the default settings on my mppt unit need modifying for these batteries

I would appreciate any advice please

John

AGM Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

@no1johnkilner@yahoo.co.uk The MPPT default charge parameters (bulk, absorb, float, etc. for your specific battery will require adjustment if they vary from the default factory settings. This will ensure the batteries are optimally charged and avoid potential overcharging etc. issues. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:mppt-solarchargers

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

no1johnkilner avatar image no1johnkilner commented ·

Sorry perhaps I was not clear on my post.

My mppt 75/15 is now charging std wet leisure batteries and is at factory (victron ) settings. My question is do I need to make any changes and if so how and what to for charging AGM batteries

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ no1johnkilner commented ·

You'll need to consult the documentation for the AGM batteries to obtain the correct charge parameters. Not all AGM batteries are the same and the parameters differ from one brand / model to the next.

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Short answer is no. If you read the document you will see the MPPT has little else to change. Voltage is what primarily drives a battery and I pointed out the parameters that typically are adjusted to suit the charging profile for your specific battery. AGM is after all still in the LA family of batteries. Maybe someone else has a different view and has more experience with this. I have a LifePo4 which controls the MPPT and does not require any setting up.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic