question

glen avatar image
glen asked

32 cell panels

Victron recommends 36 cell panels for their SmartSolar controllers to get maximum efficiency from attached panels. I'm curious as to whether their is some magical way to actually count the number of cells in a panel or is the concern the voltage being presented to the controller?

I'm going to be using 2 160w 32 cell mono panels attached to a 100|30 controller. Panel ratings are:

Voc = 22.9V

Vmp = 20.2V

Isc = 8.37A

Imp = 7.92A

Should I expect less power harvest from these panels due to them being 32 cell panels and if so would someone point me to info explaining why this would be?

Thanks for the assist!

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Glen. That reference is perhaps a little antiquated nowadays with so many different panels on the market.

The figures you provided are exactly the ones to go by. Those would be great wired in series to your 100/, and would charge either 12V or 24V batts as you choose to full panel capacity/sun potential.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

glen avatar image glen commented ·

So it is the lower voltage of older 32 cell panels that Victron was addressing?

Thx for the reply!

0 Likes 0 ·