question

bwoudenberg avatar image
bwoudenberg asked

Orion DC DC 48 12 20 won't power up

My application is for a marine house battery bank. Its a full Victron setup with Multiplus 3K, two 200Ah LiFeP04 batts, batt protects, MPPT, VE.BUS BMS, CCGX, Digital Display, BMV712. Everything is working properly except the Orion 48 12 20 240W unit. I have + and - Input coming from the battery. I made tiny adjustment to potentiometer. I have the right hand terminal of green connector going to the Balmar 614. Output + going to starter with external fuse, and Output - going to starter battery. Can't get the Orion DC DC to power on. Tried two separate units and nothing. Manual has no further guidance, and have not been able to find guidance in the community yet. Appreciate any assistance from the gurus out there.

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
solardude avatar image
solardude answered ·

Have you verified that your voltage is within operating range at the input terminals of the converter? Did you turn the potentiometer after you were getting output voltage, or just turned it prior to getting output voltage? Small adjustments make big changes.

Are you trying to float charge the starter battery? Why did you go to the starter with the positive lead instead of direct to battery? Maybe you are on the wrong side of the starter?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bwoudenberg avatar image
bwoudenberg answered ·

In the end, the unit was spec'd incorrectly. It should have been a 12 12 18. No idea why the 48v unit was spec'd for our house setup. We are float charging starter battery. All the connections were correct. Thanks for the reply @Solardude.

1 comment
2 |3000

solardude avatar image solardude commented ·

Glad you got it figured out!

0 Likes 0 ·