question

Joe avatar image
Joe asked

Multiplus II dead | After switching to off whilst connected to shore power

The multiplus ii 24/5000 is now dead because it was shut down by the switch whilst charging (at 6A) from shore power using the AC-in.

Is there an internal fuse? There are no lights or sound when switched to charger or inverter. Resetting (4 second charger then switch to inverter) has no effect.

Any help is much appreciated

Joe

Multiplus-II
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Joe avatar image Joe commented ·

Are there any other methods of troubleshooting a multiplus II that won't turn on?

0 Likes 0 ·
cmclane28 avatar image cmclane28 Joe commented ·
Hi Joe,

For what it's worth, not long ago I had turned off my multi-plus to move some other components around and when I went to turn it on I got nothing. No lights at all. I thought I had messed something up really bad.

Long story short, it turns out I had accidentally plugged the VE Bus cable from the Multiplus into the internet port on the Cerbo. The Multiplus will not turn on at all if you have the network cable plugged into that port on the Cerbo. I simply disconnected the VE Bus Ethernet cable from the Multiplus and boom! Turned right back on. It was then that I realized what the problem was. Not sure if it helps you in your case but maybe someone will read this and it will save them from a freak out like I had. haha.

1 Like 1 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Joe commented ·

Have you checked the remote connector, that the wire loop isn't loose?

screenshot-2023-07-15-at-135155.png

0 Likes 0 ·
Joe avatar image Joe nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
I have checked it seems secure, thanks
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Joe update the FW in the multiplus II to 505 if you read the fw logs you will see that there is a fix for this issue , it happens on some units.

xxxx492

January 17, 2022

• Bug fix.
    It proved that (in rare cases) with firmwares xxxx489 upto xxxx491 the Multi could get ‘stuck’ in the off state.
    It could not be switched on anymore neither locally nor remote. Even power cycling the system does not fix the issue.

(note that communication with such a unit is still possible).

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·
If you have a GX device connected as well - then I would also update that to the latest fw as well fw 3.0
0 Likes 0 ·
Joe avatar image Joe Paul B commented ·
Thanks Paul that sounds great, my Cerbo is running the latest firmware and my multiplus is 490 which aligns with the bug fix.

However how do I communicate with the multiplus to update when will not turn on?

0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas Joe commented ·
Connect directly to the multi with the MK3 and use veflash
0 Likes 0 ·
Joe avatar image Joe derrick thomas commented ·
The mk3 came today, veflash wouldn't connect but Victron connect did! Thank you so much it's working again
0 Likes 0 ·
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Turn off.

Do you have proper DC Battery voltage on the Batt Input terminals?

Disconnect ALL wires ( both Live & Neutral ) from the AC output terminals.

Now try to power up the Multiplus, without anything connected to the AC output.

5 comments
2 |3000

Joe avatar image Joe commented ·
I've just tried and nothing, no lights or change. The battery terminals are the correct voltage and the AC is fully disconnected.

Is there an internal fuse?

0 Likes 0 ·
mvas avatar image mvas Joe commented ·
The pre-RMA manual says, check the internal fuse. Try Google search "Multiplus internal fuse". You would think this is well documented. But?
0 Likes 0 ·
mvas avatar image mvas Joe commented ·

I found this (aint much) ...

Your internal fuse is 150A fast blow and say a curve of i*1.6 to 2, so 120 seconds before it blows at 300A continuous load. So this fuse will never blow under normal operation maximum potential draw conditions, as it will supply the 1600W for 120 seconds without blowing.

0 Likes 0 ·
Joe avatar image Joe mvas commented ·
I haven't been able to find anything online about the internal fuse.

I'm really stuck here and out of ideas.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Joe commented ·
Might be time to take it for repair.
0 Likes 0 ·