question

groningen avatar image
groningen asked

Converting Quattro from 110V to 220V

Dear All

I know someone that is moving from the US (110 V) to a country that is 220 V.

My question : Is it better to sell the old unit(s) in the US and buy new quattro's, or can he bring it in to a victron "repair" shop so they can swap the 110 V coil to a 220 V coil?

I assume a third option is to buy a 110 to 220 booster coil, but then a separate unit needs to be mounted.

PS, he is not sure if he will get a decent offer if he sells the old unit(s) and buy new in a different country, so hence, emphasis on the swapping coil inside the quattro's.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Melih Manisalıgil avatar image
Melih Manisalıgil answered ·

But what about your AC loads? Are they 110V? If this, do not change Quattro you can install split transformer to AC input for stepping down 220V shore power to 110V.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

groningen avatar image groningen commented ·
Hi @Melih Manisalıgil.

The "new" input ac and load (ac out) will all be 220 v.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

USA is 240 volts / 120 volts, not 110 volts.
Is there a Victron Dealer that will actually remove the 120 volt toroid and install a 230 Volt toroid?
Are there any other 120 volt components that must be upgraded to 230 volts?
Will the existing firmware even support 230 volts?
So, you want to build a one-of-a-kind "Frankenstein" unit?
Goof luck with "support", when it does not work.

Sell the 120 Volt Quattro
Purchase a 230 volt Quattro (with warranty and technical support)

1 comment
2 |3000

@mvas

Yes indeed, alot of uncertainty if this is possible.

I would also suggest a new unit as it comes with less headaches and support.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

ALL of the AC components (not just the transformer) would need to change. I don't think there is a conversion path. There is also safety certification to consider. A new unit will be needed in the new country.

You could fit a transformer on the input of the Quattro and another on the output but I would not go that route and it might not be less expensive.

1 comment
2 |3000

@Kevin Windrem

Yes indeed, to add two separate units could be more expensive compared to a new unit.

I also think a new unit would be the best option (unless there is a conversion kit from the manufacturer).

0 Likes 0 ·