question

mestafin avatar image
mestafin asked

Quattro disconnects AC Input and never re-connects again

I have an all-Victron system with Quattro, Lynx BMS , Li Batteries, Phoenix charter, two Orion chargers, two SmartSolar chargers and isolation transformer on my boat.

Due to the 1:1.05 turns ratio of the Victron isolation transformer, the AC input voltage that the Quattro sees is high and close to the limit of 254V, but often exceeds even that.

The Quattro correctly disconnects the AC input when over-voltage occurs, but it never wakes up to re-check the AC input voltage again.

The only way to get the Quattro to check and start using the AC input again, is to re-start the VE.bms bus. That causes a grid disconnect alarm and then the Quattro wil check and start using the AC input again if within specification.

Why does the Quattro not wake up and check the AC input again - say every 30 minutes?

What can be adjusted or changed to get the Quattro to check periodically if the AC input is within specification?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@mestafin

It may well be checking and rejecting without indication, but it won't keep doing that forever.

What settings are you using? I note default disconnect is 270V and reconnect 265V. If you've set them well down from there, then perhaps reconsider the levels chosen.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mestafin avatar image
mestafin answered ·

Thanks, looks like my problem is the AC High Connect 220V setting.

Will adjust and evaluate

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

AC high connect is where it will reconnect after hitting a the high threshold. So if you disconnect at 255V it will only reconnect at 220V or below. So that is a large gap and will prevent it reconnecting.

AC high connect

This setting forms a pair with AC high disconnect. With this setting one determines the AC high voltage at which the transfer switch will switch on. This should lie below the AC high disconnect level to prevent continuous switching of the transfer switch when the voltage is fluctuating around that level. Note that in fact the parameter which is changed is an offset voltage relative to AC high disconnect. The result of this is that when changing the AC high disconnect level this "AC high connect" level changes also!

2 |3000

mestafin avatar image
mestafin answered ·

The disconnect voltage is set at 255, (just above 230V +15%), which is the guideline allowed for net controllers here in the Netherlands.

265V is really pushing it with equipment designed for 230V

Where is the re-connect setting hat you mentioned?

These are the only options that I have:942efaef-1955-47c4-bb38-e90779663841.jpeg

The 250 shown in the image is actually already set at 255

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@mestafin

Like Nickdb says.

All very well for regulators to set their limits. In my country (Australia) it's common to have long transmission lines, and 240V seems to be the usual target for utilities. 255V is quite common for household solar exporters. And troublesome to meet. I'm an offgrid genset user in winter, and need the 270V limit. General household appliances don't seem to be worried by that, although it's mostly just spiking from load changes that drive that need.

You may just need to relax your settings a little.

0 Likes 0 ·