question

joshestes avatar image
joshestes asked

Multiplus won't stay connected to generator

I need help with my generator and my multiplus. I'll give as much detail as I can.

I've got 9 solar panels at 400 watts each

6 are run into a SmartSolar HQ1913LXE7V MPPT 250/100

3 are run into a SmartSolar HQ1930LHU7E MPPT 150/60

I'm running 4 Tesla battery modules

My inverter is a Mutiplus 24/3000/70

My generator is a Champion dual fuel 3400/3060

What I want is the generator to help out on hot days.

For example I'm pulling in about 2000watts of solar

I've got a 1500 watt load going with the air conditioner, etc.

What I would like is to run the load on the generator and let the solar just pour into the batteries. It seems like it happens everytime the load increases. I've got a soft start on my AC, but when the compressor kicks on, the passthru kicks off and just the inverter is running. It says -80a while the load is running on the inverter screen.

My Grid settings are as follows: AC low voltage disconnect = 90V, AC low voltage connect = 91V, AC high voltage connect = 135V, and AC high voltage disconnect = 140V.

I've fiddled with the power assist boost settings, UPS settings, ground relay, and dynamic current limit to no avail.

I'm using the 30amp plug from my trailer to the generator and I've set my input limit to 30amps. Currently dynamic current limit is enabled, UPS function is off, power assist is disabled, ground relay is off, AC input controls are off, and the charger is off. It seems no matter what combination of these settings I attempt, I can't stay connected to the generator for more than a few seconds.

EDIT: It seems to work better when the generator is running on propane and not gasoline which is neat, but confusing and not ideal. Maybe that will give one of your geniuses a clue?

Generator
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack commented ·
Limit the AC input current to 67% of the rated Generators output current. Your Generator will thank you for this.
2 Likes 2 ·
2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Turn on Power Assist so the inverter will make up for any loads that exceed the capability of the generator. Without power assist, there's no way for the Multi to prevent the load from overloading the generator. Even with a soft start, you'll exceed the running current during startup. If the generator overloads, it's voltage will drop or will stop producing power completely.

Set the input current limit to something below what the generator can deliver. Otherwise, the Multi will simply pass the load current back to the generator and overload it.

Do NOT disable the ground relay!! This is a safety thing.

Even with everything set properly it is not uncommon for the Multi to assist when loads are added. This is especially true with Dynamic Current Limit enabled because that slowly increases generator loading when the Multi's AC load increased abruptly.

Don't be too concerned if the Multi rejects the AC input momentarily when the AC load increases. This is probably indicating the generator's voltage dropped below the minimum. The Multi should pick up the AC input again in a few seconds. Running the generator in ECO mode exacerbates dropping the AC input because when the engine RPM is lower, the generator can't deliver the specified power and spooling up the generator takes some time. I run a Honda EU2200 with a Multi Compact and an air conditioner with soft start. It all works perfectly with a brief dropout as the generator spools up out of ECO state.

I would manage your loads such that you never exceed the Multi's AC output specs when running on generator. This is because with Dynamic Current Limit active, the Multi won't immediately pass AC input power to the AC loads and the Multi will need to handle all of the increased AC load momentarily.

Another thing to consider is the power your batteries can produce. During the time when the inverter is assisting an AC load starting up, the demands on the battery increase substantially. If the battery voltage sags or it's BMS trips you would get a low voltage warning, alarm or worst case an inverter shutdown.

The Multi will prioritize powering the AC loads over charging the battery so you don't need to disable the charger. This is true when inverting and also when power assist is active. The Multi also limits AC input current based on the total draw of AC loads and charging the batteries.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

joshestes avatar image joshestes commented ·
Thank you. I set the current limit to 25, re-enabled the ground relay, and set the power assist to 2.0 and turned it back on. When it kicks over to inverter only momentarily, this pisses off the air compressor on the AC and it won't start back up without turning the AC off and on again. I've disabled the charger completely. At full tilt, I think I'm charging the batteries over 3000 watts on solar. I think I might of been sending more voltage to them through the inverter than they can allow.

On batteries alone, I have no problem running the AC, fridge, and gaming computer all at the same time. I only have problems when it gets really hot and I need to boost the batteries up a bit during the day to make it through the night.

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Since you can run everything on batteries, try a LOWER input current limit.

Also make sure you have Dynamic Current Limit enabled this will smooth the transition.

Try running your generator with ECO off and see if you have the same issue.

The soft start probably has a ~5 minute restart delay so if you leave it it might try a restart, but the same thing will probably happen.

Your low AC voltage disconnect is pretty low. The soft start may be seeing this as a fault. Try RAISING the low AC voltage limit. This will allow assist to kick in sooner.

Look at the max charging current your batteries will allow and compare that with what the solar and Multi charger can provide total. If it's more than that you risk battery damage or BMS shutdown. This will have nothing to do with your air conditioner startup issue. Consider a GX device (eg Cerbo). With it, the maximum charging current can be set and managed to avoid excessive charge current while at the same time maximizing what you get from solar or the Multi alone.

4 comments
2 |3000

joshestes avatar image joshestes commented ·

Doesn't seem to be exceeding the 25a input current limit or even really getting close to that. I did enable dynamic current limit and the compressor is no longer kicking off when it transitions ever so often. That's great. All the electronic buttons on the front of the generator are shot. I can't tell if ECO mode is on or off, the switch does nothing. I'll probably get a new generator, that Honda EU2200 next year. The soft start takes 60 seconds to kick on the compressor.

The low AC voltage disconnect is defaulted at 90V and the reconnect at 97V so I set them both back to default.

From what I'm reading the Tesla batteries can take way more input current than the Multiplus can even provide, so no issues there.

It's running fairly consistently on propane now, I'm going to try it on gas again tomorrow.

Thanks again m8!

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem joshestes commented ·
You probably won't see the current spikes on any meter. They are way too short to register.

3000 watts is 25 amps, so set the input current limit LOWER than that. the 2/3 value recommended above would say 17 amps.

1 Like 1 ·
joshestes avatar image joshestes Kevin Windrem commented ·

Kevin, I hope you can help me still. I've done all your suggestions so far. The generator is running great at 17amps input current. The AC is on and it's holding in passthru mode. It runs for a few minutes and then the inverter makes a LOUD buzzing squelching noise, the air compressor turns off, it goes to inverter for a second and then back to passthru.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem joshestes commented ·
I have no ideas, sorry.
0 Likes 0 ·