question

camagg avatar image
camagg asked

Controller repeatedly shows an error

MPPR 150 60-Tr with separate panels in parallel with Midnite Classic 150.

Controller shows error with absorb and float lights blinking at the same time and not functioning.

Was installed by someone in whom I don't have much confidence and I would love to have some ideas as to possible source of the problem and, hopefully, simple solution.

Seems to be no particular pattern. First time it happened it did not reoccur for possible two months and now it has happened three times in the last month.

I disconnect the controller from the battery and, so far, it has reset and functioned.

Ideas please,

Thanks

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

You know you have an over-voltage error, per the LEDs. So, what are the voltage readings? What is the Mfr & Model # of PV Panels. What are the parameters ... Voc, Isc, mv/°C, etc. How are the panels wired (parallel vs series ) ? What diagnostics have you performed, so far?

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

camagg avatar image camagg commented ·

Thank you for your input! I have lived for many years in Panamá and have learned to not have much confidence in technical experts here.

jaja Now I know I have an overvoltage problem. I had seen the chart in the manual but didn't know how to interpret it. Now I understand it.

Ok, the MPPR 150 60-Tr has four 545 watt panels connected with the panels connected in two series of two panels in parallel. It is a beautiful sunny morning in the interior of Panamá where I live. There is 84 volts showing on both panel inputs...I have them on separate breakers. There is also 84 volts showing at the entrance to the MPPT and this, of course is way below the max voltage of 150 volts for the controller.

I had someone here in Panama install the equipment, a solar company, but I have no confidence in them. I am trying to get the info you asked on the panels.

What has me puzzled is that two of the four times that the problem occurred was at night with little or no input from the panels. For this reason I thought maybe a problem with the manner in which the equipment was installed.

I noted that he did not ground the panel chassis of any of the panels. Problem?

James

0 Likes 0 ·
mvas avatar image mvas camagg commented ·

"Over-Voltage" error at night? Could the Battery Bank Voltage be too high? Do you have any charging source from the GRID? Can you measure the PV Voltage and Battery Bank Voltage when the problem occurs? Can you access VRM Portal or Bluetooth historical data logs? It records Highest & Lowest Battery Bank voltage.

MPPT power down ...
MPPT Remote Switch = Off first, then shutdown PV, then disconnect battery (last).

MPPT power up ...
Reconnect battery first, then PV second, then MPPT Remote Switch = On.

An un-grounded PV Array should not cause an Over-Voltage error.
Was there a storm at the time of the OV error?

What is the MAX Voc ( Open Circuit Voltage ) of your PV array?
PV array must be below 145 Volts ( max operating )
I think, you are way below the 145V max input, with only 2 PV Panels in series.

Can the Classic 150 be over-charging the Battery Bank?
LiFePO4 or Flooded LA or AGM?

0 Likes 0 ·
camagg avatar image camagg mvas commented ·
Voc 49.52 volts(99.04 volts for the series)

Two 300 amp hour LIFEPHOS batteries in parallel

Everything is off grid

Never have been able to do anything at the time it happens because I never know when it will occurr.

I have a SmartBMV 712 installed and the history showing the voltage peaks over three months has a max about three times(days) of about 28.5 volts. The max voltage for these batteries is 29.2 volts. Absorb is set on the Midnite controller at 28.4 volt and float at 27.2 volts.

There is only one setting for LIFEPHOS batteries with the MPPT and it shows absorb at 28.4 volts and float at 27 volt.

The LIFEPHOS batteries had been connected to my original system without problem for about 15 months. Before that I had lead acid batteries and the system funtioned well for about 7 years without problems with the Midnite Classic.

Only had a problem after adding the four new panels and the MPPT and the present problem is impossible to demonstrate to the installer because it happens at completely irregular intervals.

Originally planned on installing another Midnite Classic but I thought I would let someone install the addition to avoid any problems.

For me avoiding problems is practically impossible! jaja

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·