question

uguraladag avatar image
uguraladag asked

Can I connect 1 x 75/15 mppt charger in parallel to 2 x 100/30 mppt chargers working in parallel?

My current two rows of 4x170watt solar panels are connected to 2 pcs of 100/30 mppt solar chargers and they work in parallel. In addition to this system, is it possible to connect a 75/15 mppt charger to which 3x170 Watt panels are connected in parallel to the existing system?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

You should also have the same setpoints (Voltage) programmed into each charger.

7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ingo21 avatar image ingo21 commented ·
you also can set it to different voltage points so you charge in stages. all 3 charge when the battery is low

then when reaching full charge you do not need all 3 chargers to float.

i have set my two chargers like this both charge until the battery is almost full and one is set by 0.2 volt lower for float.

1 Like 1 ·
uguraladag avatar image uguraladag ingo21 commented ·

The system is very simple, there are 2 rows of 4 x170W panels connected in series. Each row is connected to a Victron 100/30 Amp smart solar Charger. In the third row, there are 3 serial 170W panels connected to 75/15. When the 75/15 charging output is connected in series to 100/30, it is on the same network via Bluetooth and although all the settings are the same, the watt produced by the 75/15 does not apply to the system, the output power of the system does not increase. There is 2 x 400 watts of power at the 100/30 output and my 5 kilowatt lifepo4 battery is 50% full. Normally, the charging power should be 200+400+400= 1000 watts. But it shows Maximum 800 watts. Everything is connected properly and robustly.

0 Likes 0 ·
uguraladag avatar image uguraladag commented ·

I connected Victron 12v 75/15 to 2 units of 12v 100/30 system running in parallel, there was no power increase. Unfortunately, the answers given were wrong.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvas avatar image mvas uguraladag commented ·

Unfortunately, you did something wrong. Because this works all the time. Can you give us the details of your project? Like ... the specs for the Solar Panels, Series vs Parallel, Battery Bank Voltage and MPPT settings? Are you 100% positive that your INPUT VOLTAGE is high enough to charge the battery bank? I see no details from you.

1 Like 1 ·
uguraladag avatar image uguraladag mvas commented ·

The system is very simple, there are 2 rows of 4 x 170W panels connected in series. Each row is connected to a Victron 100/30 Amp smart solar Charger. In the third row, there are 3 serial 170W panels connected to 75/15. When the 75/15 charging output is connected in series to 100/30, it is on the same network via Bluetooth and although all the settings are the same, the watt produced by the 75/15 does not apply to the system, the output power of the system does not increase. There is 2 x 400 watts of power at the 100/30 output and my 5 kilowatt lifepo4 battery is 50% full. Normally, the charging power should be 200+400+400= 1000 watts. But it shows Maximum 800 watts. Everything is connected properly and robustly.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvas avatar image mvas uguraladag commented ·

Now, I ask for these specific details (again) ...
Q1) What is the voltage of the Battery Bank? 12v, 24v, 48v?
Q2) What is the Vmp ( Volts @ max power ) ( not Voc ! ) value of the Solar Panel?
Q3) Can you measure the PV Input Voltage of the 3 Solar Panels, at the terminals of the new 75/15 MPPT?
Q4) Did you connect the battery voltage first, to the new 75/15 MPPT and then the PV voltage last?
Q5) Which LED's are On, Blinking and Off ( the new 75/15 MPPT ) ?

-1 Like -1 ·

A1) 12 V

A2) 19,5 V

A3)57 V

A4) I connect Battery First to the mppt

A5) blue LED blinking on connected to the New 75/15 mppt.

Also , I Have cerbo gx on telephone screen I can see on the Victron connect app Bluetooth connection with 2 PCS 100/30 and 75/15 mppt s but over internet on Vrm connection , ı could not see 75/15. I see only 2 PCS 100/30 mppt.

0 Likes 0 ·
mjs500 avatar image
mjs500 answered ·

if all your Victron Mppt controllers are smart with blue tooth you can network them to giver with VE smart network so sync changing and work as one all in bulk or ads - float at same time

2 |3000

mjs500 avatar image
mjs500 answered ·

It means that mppts of different power cannot run parallel to each other. This is Lesson one ? how so I have set up 75/15 with 100/20 mppt with 12v or 24v and 48v battery and larger too all that happenings all solar controller's on the network have charging sync and power out put is shown for hold solar controller group, each controller only proverbs power out put that it can base PV input just means that all the controls will be in one charger mode i.e. bulk or abs or float at same time work as one

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

@uguraladag

Sorry, but let's kill the misconception above.

There is no reason that different MPPTs cannot be run in parallel to charge a single battery bank.

Each must have its own panels.

Each must be configured with identical parameters.

The battery must be capable of taking the increased output.

The monitoring system (if installed) must see the charge current from all controllers.

Usual rules for panels/controller/cable matching still apply.

If you didn't see an increase in output, either there's a cabling problem or one of the above applies.

4 comments
2 |3000

mvas avatar image mvas commented ·

Maybe, the 3 new panels, that are connected to the new MPPT, are wired in parallel and not series = Low input voltage. That could explain "no charging" from the new MPPT ???

1 Like 1 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ mvas commented ·
If the op will accept that it's possible, then we can move to problem solving. Parallel being insufficient is one possibility. But we have nothing to work on.
1 Like 1 ·

I connected 3 new panels in series to 75/15 mppt Charger.

0 Likes 0 ·
Thank you very much indeed.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

If we're going to get anywhere with this, you must post the charger settings for each charger and the first graphic for each from Victron connect.

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

As long as each mppt has its own panels you can mix and match mppts in any environment.

Always use the mppt calculator to confirm the panels are the right fit for any mppt.

1 comment
2 |3000

I connected Victron 12v 75/15 to 2 units of 12v 100/30 system running in parallel, there was no power increase. Unfortunately, the answers given were wrong.

0 Likes 0 ·
paulcupine avatar image
paulcupine answered ·

You say: "When the 75/15 charging output is connected in series to 100/30,"

Hopefully this is not what you meant. The MPPTs should all be connected to the battery in the same way, not in series with each other.

1 comment
2 |3000

Of course , I connected all mppt's to the Battery as paralell to the busbar connection , don't you ? Haha hahhhh

0 Likes 0 ·
uguraladag avatar image
uguraladag answered ·

My dear Victron friends, now the system is working. 75/15 produces energy and feeds the system. It means that 2 x 100/30 and 1 x 75/15 can be connected together in parallel. It can work synchronized at the same time, feed the system and charge the batteries. The attached picture is proof of this. I would like to thank those who contributed with their comments.screenshot-2023-07-11-16-27-31-864-nlvictronenergy.jpg

2 |3000