question

tomcj avatar image
tomcj asked

MPPT 75/10 intermittent charging

Hi,

I've searched this forum without success so I'm asking for help diagnosing a problem.

I've got a 100W solar panel connected to a MPPT 75/10 controller which charges a 100Ah LiFeP battery. Last year the system worked flawlessly, but this year it's working intermittently--usually not at all.

The panel checks out fine--short-circuit voltage is 21V with 4.7A of current under bright sun (100W). I measure this both directly at the panel and at the wire feeds connected to the MPPT controller. The entire wire run from the plug on the travel trailer to the MPPT is extremely short, and all the connections are tight . All the wire connections to the MPPT are tight. There are no signs of corrosion anywhere. And, like I just wrote, I'm measuring an PV output of 100W in the wires that are directly entering the MPPT.

However, most of the time the MPPT won't charge and reports a PV voltage equal to the battery voltage, about 13.3V. When I disconnect the panel from the MPPT I measure 21V and 4.7A (various, of course, with sun output). About 20% of the time, however, charging proceeds as normal, though never to completion--it seems to cut out at the equalization stage, when charging current drops back to 0.0W. The state of charge is usually about 90% when this happens.

So I'm stumped! Is it:

(a) user error? I'm using the default LiFeP setting on the MPPT, though it doesn't change anything if I tweak them a little.

(b) A faulty panel? I've talked to the panel manufacturer, and they've told me that it's testing fine--producing 100W as specified.

(c) A faulty MPPT controller?

(d) Something else?

Help!

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

You wrote

The panel checks out fine--short-circuit voltage is 21V with 4.7A of current under bright sun (100W). I 

I sincerely doubt short circuit voltage is 21v.
The Voc is less important.
What is the Vmp of the panel?
It must be 5 volts greater than Vbatt.
12 volt or 24 volt battery bank?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tomcj avatar image
tomcj answered ·

Thanks for the quick response!

12 volt system, 100Ah battery.

I guess I should have written open-circuit V, which is indeed 21V:

panel.jpg

Looks like Vmp is 13.3V. Is that the problem? What puzzles me is that it worked perfectly all last year; it's only this year, since I've taken it out of the garage and exposed the panel to sunlight again, that it's been behaving intermittently.

EDIT: after doing a little reading, it seems that the Voc should be high enough to trigger the MPPT, and once it starts, it should continue to charge as long as the actual V exceeds battery voltage by 1V . . . is this correct?

panel.jpg (67.4 KiB)
2 |3000