question

richard-1 avatar image
richard-1 asked

V2L and Multiplus inverter

I understand that the V2L (Vehicle to Load) feature in most new Electric Vehicles in Australia is treated as a 'protected supply' by inverters e.g. the Victron MultiPlus, which can interfere with an inverter's household safety circuit (RCD).

For the uninitiated, the V2L functionality is a great asset for off-grid solar enthusiasts because it provides an easy way to use some of the EV’s big battery (I have 60kWh battery in my EV) to boost the house’s smaller battery (I have a 22kWh house battery) when a run of bad weather prevents good solar gain. Some have apparently successfully plugged the V2L cable from the car battery directly into the generator socket of the inverter and charged the house battery while providing limited AC load to home appliances.

When I do that, my V2L circuit trips out. Contributors to this forum have said that the MultiPlus has a neutral-earth link, which is the reason that the V2L trips out. A solution could be simply to untick the Ground Relay box in VEconfigure.

Is this a safe way to handle the V2L protected supply?

My solar/battery installer agrees that this could solve the problem but he is reluctant to make the change on my system (untick the Ground Relay box in VEconfigure.) until he understands more about potential consequences.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?

Multiplus-II
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gammatheta avatar image gammatheta commented ·
I connect my gv60 directly to the inlet socket (previously used for my filthy diesel gen set), all works beautifully, the multi’s charge the battery and power everything on the site.

However, the boiler trips out (flame failure needs a sound earth), and RCD’s are probably inactive. Ideally I’d force the earth relay to stay closed but that doesn’t seem to be possible.

Any advice on a safe way to solve this would be welcome.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
max-logun avatar image
max-logun answered ·

Hi I am in the same position trying to use my EV to charge my leisure batteries though an Easy Solar 1, as soon as the multi closes its contacts it trips the car output off. I have tried turning the ground relay off but the multi stills trips the car output off when the contacts close. I live in the UK and I'm off grid so have no grid feed in set. Could someone please enlighten us to the required settings to get this to work, would be very much appreciated

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

janieronen avatar image
janieronen answered ·

There is several ways to avoid tripping vehicle safety mechanism. As Neutral Ground bonding rules varies between countries you need local electrician assistance. They can use in example isolation transformer, grid separation relays/ switches and few other ways to sort ground bonding issues.

2 |3000