question

ken avatar image
ken asked

Orion-Tr 12/24-20: setting current limit for charging?

Can anyone share experience setting volt and current for Orion-Tr 12/24-20? I plan to get this for charging 24v lifepo4 battery from 12v source, but the online manual is not helpful on how/whether I can set the volt and current limit. From a prior post I saw JohnC's response on how to set volt with screwdriver, but, shouldn't I also set a current limit for charging?

Thank you!

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

There is no way to adjust the current limit. If you think the 20A from the 12/24-20 will be too much, then use the 10A version 12/24-10.
However, the current will decrease as the battery Voltage reaches the set Voltage of the Orion.

Please bear in mind that although this device can be used for battery charging, it is not a multi stage battery charger. It only has one target Voltage, which is what you adjust it to. This should be the float Voltage. For lithium this will probably be OK. It won't fully charge it, but it will get a good percentage of the charge in.
You should perform a good charge with a multi stage battery charger from time to time.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ken avatar image
ken answered ·

Thank you, WKirby for the quick response! I will not fully charge lifepo4 anyway since the last 5% is a bit risky if I don't baby-sit it carefully, and was told fully charging lifepo4 is harmful for its longevity...

3 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

20A isn't much into a Li batt. Unless it's awfully small. Is this really an issue?

0 Likes 0 ·
ken avatar image ken JohnC ♦ commented ·

I know, but the 12v source (Mercedes Metris) specifies maximum 40a out. 20a/28v out is probably OK but I am not too comfortable at the limit.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ ken commented ·

Ah ok, a supply limitation. 40A is a big call for any 12V vehicle batt anyway, so likely only useful while the engine is running. If so, that should be soaked away into alternator output. and wouldn't apply to the batt discharge.

But 'smart' alternators are beyond me, if you have one aboard.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic