question

botnic avatar image
botnic asked

Multiplus 5k overload

Hello Victron team,

We have a brand new Multiplus 5000 24VDC/230VAC.

We are connected to shore power and have set the limit to max (100A) over the MultiControll. We try to power up the dive compressor (2.2kW). I know the compressor has a high start current. But the shore can deliver this without problem.
If we connect it after the Multiplus (current from short passed into ship through the Multiplus), the Multiplus goes into "Overload (constant Light)" , does not show shore current any more and the compressor does not start.
What is the problem? I could imagine, that the compressor does to much distributions to the AC waveform. What could be the solution?

Thank you.
Kind regards

Pablo

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

What can you tell us about the DC wiring from the battery to the MultiPlus?
Is it the correct rating for the load and not too long.
It seems to me like the DC bus is going too low when the compressor tries to start.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

botnic avatar image botnic commented ·

The Multiplus is connected over 2 x 70mm^2 (on positive and negative) and approx 2-3m cable. This should not be the problem.

0 Likes 0 ·
botnic avatar image botnic botnic commented ·

I don't expect the DC to be a problem, as the shore power can deliver more than necessary.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·
2 |3000

boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

Maybe the shorepower dips, leading to the inverter trying to take over.

if you have 'UPS function' checked, try to uncheck and see if it helpes.

1 comment
2 |3000

botnic avatar image botnic commented ·

We disabled it, but it had no influence. Thank you anyway.

0 Likes 0 ·
botnic avatar image
botnic answered ·
We were able to start the engine by setting the current limit to 12A. I think it has something to do with the voltage drop on the shorecable.
1 comment
2 |3000

justmurph avatar image justmurph commented ·

Hi Botnic.

I am looking to install a similar setup to this with a Multiplus 5000 24VDC/230VAC powering a Bauer Junior II (I'm assuming this is what you have). I won't ever be connected to shore power with my setup though. Can you confirm that that multiplus does run your compressor ok, and whether you use a softstart or anything else like that to help with the inrush current?

Cheers,

Justin

0 Likes 0 ·