question

josecokem avatar image
josecokem asked

DC-DC electric car charge

At the current time, is possible to charge at home the electric car directly from DC source (solar panel)?? Is any future plan to develop any way to do it using the Victron ecosystem? The idea is to bypass AC conversions to increase efficiency.

victron
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

Boosting the PV voltage of a 24V or 48V Battery to 800V DC to power an EV Charger is a real challenge!

I do not think, Victron will ever develop a DC/DC EV Charger.

Victron does not even have a DC/DC Charger from 24V to 48V (Forklift Truck with 110Ah Battery) and I have to use my Multiplus and an inefficient (maybe 70%) 30A Charger for it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

josecokem avatar image
josecokem answered ·

The idea is to charge the car directly from a string of panels, not from the batteries. Plug the panels directly to the car with some type of hardware in the middle to "talk" with the car hardware so the DC of the array could go directly inside the DC batteries of the car.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

So basically treating the car like a battery bank, I saw the "first Ever" DC to DC for cars charger article somewhere.

It uses 25kW of solar to run, is basically an AC PV inverter (so your car is the battery) an then possibly you can feedback to grid if your car is done, since it mixes the two.

It does not really make sense in some ways, well at least for homes that want/need backup power, but I guess all with stable grid the idea could work. Would not work for those desiring energy independence.

then there is the issue of the 800V DC and regulations for batteries in homes keeping to 48v.

it is an interesting idea though, still in its baby stages. HV inverters are becoming more popular at least for commercial who knows....

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic