question

lee avatar image
lee asked

MPPT 100/50 is not returning to bulk though voltage is below float

The SmartSolar MPPT 100/50 goes through Bulk, to Absorb, and to float correctly. The documentation says that if the voltage stayes below the float voltage for more than 1 minute, it will return Bulk. I get into float by noon, by 4PM, we are easily .3V below float but it is still in Float. I need to stop and start the controller to get it back to bulk.

MPPT Controllers
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

If you leave the charger till the following day, does it start the morning in Bulk?

0 Likes 0 ·
lee avatar image lee Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Yes it does. Next day or disable/enable charger starts back in bulk.

Documentation says it should go back to bulk if the voltage drops below float voltage for more than 1 minute.

0 Likes 0 ·
lee avatar image lee lee commented ·

Found some more info. To get it to go back to bulk at .2V below float, you MUST use the builtin Lithium Ion pre-set. Unfortunately the numbers in that preset, especially the absorption time are not as per the battery manufacturer.

Victron....Help me here. Replacing the Victron with someone elses is sure cheaper than buying another battery.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Lee

You should be able change the pre-set parameters yourself.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Hi Lee,

You might want to try manually upgrading to the new v1.42 firmware that is slowly being rolled out.

You can download the required firmware file from Victron Professional:

https://professional.victronenergy.com/accounts/login/

And the instructions to manually update firmware are in the VictronConnect online manual;

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:start

With v1.42 the re-bulk voltage is set to 13.4v by default (for a 12v system) and if you use the lithium charging preset then absorption voltage will be set to 13.5v. Accordingly anything more than a 0.1v drop below absorption voltage should trigger re-bulk.

In the near future VictronConnect will also be updated with the ability to manually configure the re-bulk voltage or offset to absorption voltage.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.