question

svviolethour avatar image
svviolethour asked

Multiplus quickly switch charge profiles

Is there any way to switch the Multiplus between different charge profiles easily and quickly without having to upload a new configuration and go through a reboot?

I don't think there is a way, unfortunately, due to lack of Bluetooth VictronConnect type functionality, but wanted to check if there's anything I missed. With other Victron products I can easily switch charge profiles using VictronConnect. (maybe this is a feature request - hint hint Victron!)

I'd like to be able to have a shore power mode and a portable generator mode. When we're using our portable generator we don't want or need to charge the batteries as much because that will take up most of the generator capacity and we just want AC pass-thru for a dehumidifier or other generator powered AC devices.

I thought of wiring in a physical switch to the aux input but unfortunately the Multiplus 2000va only has one aux 1 input which I already had to use to wire to the relay so I can make the charger do only 2 minutes of absorb rather than 1 hr (too much for our lithium batteries).

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@svviolethour

The feature is already in place it is called power control.

You set your input current limit (easy to do on the GX or smart ve bus BT dongle or DMC) and run your loads, if there is capacity left in the incoming power it will trickle into the battery, if not you will only run loads.

But since you want to do it with VC, the VE BUS dongle will add the function you want.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

svviolethour avatar image svviolethour commented ·
Yes but my shore power has a 30a limit and my generator is about a 17a limit. So I would still have to switch the profiles every time? Or does PowerControl only limit the charging functionality of the Multiplus, and it will still allow more pass-thru AC amperage beyond say a 17a PowerControl limit?

The manual isn't clear on this at all. But searching a different community forum thread, it looks like the PowerControl "AC input current limit" may only apply to the battery charging needs. In that case I could set a 17a limit and still use a full 30a for boat AC needs when we're connected to shore power. If that's the case, excellent!

0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack svviolethour commented ·
Nope.

The App is LIMITING the Input Current total, not only charging.

Hence if you are On-Shore and have set it up to 17A, and you have a load of more then 17A, the missing energy will come from the Batteries/Inverter

Do you have a change over switch between the Generator and Shore?

You can use a Change-Over switch with an auxiliary contact and connect it to the Cerbo, hence if you switch to Shore, the Cerbo detect it and change it input current to 30A and if you switch back, then it goes to 17A.

I do not know if Venus OS can do this direct, but Venus OS Large (Node Red) can do it.

0 Likes 0 ·
svviolethour avatar image svviolethour Michelle Konzack commented ·
Hi Michelle - what if you have the Multiplus in "charge only" mode and/or don't have PowerAssist enabled? Then it will not pull from the batteries. But will it allow shore power pass-thru beyond the limit? I'm finding conflicting information on this.

I don't have a change over switch. It's a portable generator that plugs into our shore power outlet.

0 Likes 0 ·