question

philipl avatar image
philipl asked

Victron Battery Behaviour

I have noticed strange behaviour with my PV panels, Multiplus and 56kwh Pylontech installation that I haven't seen before.

ESS mode is set to optimized (without battery life)

ESS Settings is set to 25%

Normally the system would use power from the batteries until 25% is reached, then it would use power from the grid. If there is loadshedding and the grid fails, the batteries would discharge further and then charge again to about 25% when the grid comes on.

Two days ago I noticed that the batteries discharged to 16% when the grid failed, but then when the grid came back on, they didn't charge up to 25% as they normally do from the grid. I also noticed then when the sun came out (and it was raining) that the PV power went to the battery and charged the battery up to 40% during the day. At the end of the day, the batteries remained at 40% and throughout the night.

It looks like the system is trying to charge the batteries to 100% with PV power for some reason and not using battery power.

I haven't seen this before, does someone know what I am seeing?

Thank you

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Did the remote console show an ESS # number on the battery tile?

Are you using “with batterylife”? That may have increased the active minimum soc. This can also be checked via vrm. If you were beneath the active minimum for too long due to weather it would slow charge.

Please send vrm charts showing the set and active ess limits over the period. Sounds like it raised to 40% or more. In which case if it wasn’t 3% above the desired minimum/active minimum it would remain in ess#1 and 2 states, using grid and waiting for PV to keep charging.

Also worth confirming everything is set right from the configuration document for pylon in the battery compatibility list.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

philipl avatar image philipl commented ·
I was using it without battery life. It has never done this before, and it started working again normally after 2 or 3 days, so it seems like a strange "glitch". I double checked the settings and there was nothing that would explain it.
0 Likes 0 ·