question

sabre356 avatar image
sabre356 asked

Impact of undersized solar controller

I currently have a 75V/10A MPPT controller installed with a single 100W panel. I was thinking of adding an additional panel in parallel which will bring me close to the 10A limit. What happens if the amps being generated exceeds the specs of the controller? Do you just lose the extra current or is there some overload concern?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

The Solar Panels do not "generate" amps. The Solar Panels generate a voltage. The Charge Controller allows the load to draw, up to, 10 amps. Does your car battery "generate" 200 amps into a load that only draws 10 amps? No.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Make sure the additional panel has the same specs as the existing one, otherwise you won't get the expected improvement. Also check Isc of the combined panels against the max for the controller.

2 |3000