question

bluelagoon avatar image
bluelagoon asked

115v (United States) and 230v (world) - Sailboat world cruiser

Hello,

Looking through the blog there are bits and pieces but I can't see to get a clear picture. Here is the background:

I need to setup my boat for both 115 and 230 V AC input. I currently have a Multplus Charger / Inverter. I want to install an Isolation Transformer.

Question:

1. Will the Isolation Transformer stepdown the voltage from 230v to 110v ac so the Multiplus will consume 115v AC during battery charging?

2. Will the Isolation Transformer pass through 230V and the Multiplus Charger switches from 110v to 230v AC during battery charging?

3. If I am connected to 230v shore power and I run my 115V Norther Lights Generator. Is there going to be concern especially if #2 is the expected operation. I would think there will be but I will let the experts chime in.

4. What happens to the isolation transformer if I draw more then staining 32 Amps?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers

shorepowerIsolation Tranformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

According to the manual, isolayion voltage switching is by changing the wiring. My reading is that you can do this with external switches, but you'd need to use the correct switches and do this with all power to it disconnected. Best get this professionally set up.

On the multiplus, if you have a straight 120V unit, isolation transformer always set to 120V output, then the generator won't cause problems. So multi and boat always at 120V, you just switch the isolation transformer if shore power changes.

No idea about shore power current.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bluelagoon avatar image bluelagoon commented ·

kevgermany - Thank you for your response. I plan on going with the Autoswitching Isolation Transformer to reduce the need for a switch. As for the over amp post. Thinking about it last night. Shore Power runs through a breaker so the Isolation Transformer is protected against drawing to many amps.

Cheers!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic