question

groningen avatar image
groningen asked

NODE red for beginners and beyond to get you started

Dear All

Apologies if this is already asked (or sticky note somewhere), but I find myself in multiple "dead ends" when asking about NODE RED and its capability/options to manage energy consumption (triggering loads or reduce demand).

Indeed, most questions on here is very personalised so I do understand that the outcome is not always aligned to yourself. However, some comments is not always assisting as stating simply "install node red" with no other description is vague.

So my question is, is there a cite (like GitHub or...) that has a NODE RED for dummies layout. I would like a guide that shows you step by step what to do and gives small tasks so that ones confidence starts growing to install personal options.

So lets say :

• Install version 2.90 on GX device or newer (if you are running on RasPi, install ..... or ....)
  • Go to firmware (GX)
  • Go to large image (and select / install) (GX)
  • Go to Node Red website and registrar (link .....)
  • Look up VICTRON in search bar (website .......) and select .......
  • Start with commands ...... (not sure if they have a software simulator, would be handy)
  • etc etc.

I cannot guarantee that I will update this page regularly, but if times allow and no other "beginners" discussion is available, I will try to update this page.

Any help would be appreciated.

Node-RED
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Groningen,

There is a related resources panel in the top right of the community when the topic node-red is used in a question - it contains most of what you're already asking for.

Everyone is always welcome to suggest or create more resources to extend it of course.

For now it contains;

Webinar Part 1 - Intro to Node-Red

Webinar Part 2- Basic Palettes

Webinar Part 3 - Advanced example

Node Red Community Space (normally hidden)

Venus OS Large (Node-RED) manual

Victron Node-RED github readme

Victron Node-RED custom nodes docs

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

groningen avatar image groningen commented ·

Thanks Guy @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) for the quick response.

I will study the content and revert back if I get stuck.

0 Likes 0 ·
Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) avatar image Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) ♦ commented ·
Thanks. Note that the last to links link to the same text (on different pages).
0 Likes 0 ·
groningen avatar image groningen Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) ♦ commented ·
@Dirk-Jan Faber

Thank you for the quick feedback (and heads-up).

PS, thanks for the link(s) last week, it was much appreciated.

mvg

1 Like 1 ·
Fideri avatar image
Fideri answered ·

@Groningen

I have written up a step-by-step guide for Node Red beginners, complete with links and screenshots here: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/277038/node-red-for-dummies-guide.html?childToView=277054#comment-277054

Fideri

2 comments
2 |3000

Really nice @Fideri

I have added it to the resources guide in the sidebar for the node red tag

0 Likes 0 ·
Fideri avatar image Fideri Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks
0 Likes 0 ·
groningen avatar image
groningen answered ·

@Fideri

Thank you very much.

Your timing is perfect.

I will send you feedback if I have uploaded my first node.

2 |3000