question

Charlie avatar image
Charlie asked

Active AC Input Disconnected (dozen similar posts and no resolution)

As many others has posted, I see the "Active AC Input" as disconnected. My setup was pretty straight forward. We installed 2 multis-II 120v 48v in (USA) split phase mode. In parallel, the multis worked perfectly but in split phase mode is a complete disaster. I'm getting the dreadful grid disconnected (active ac input disconnected) alarm message with no other details as to what is the reason for this behavior. To my surprise, Victron does not have any directions or instructions to resolved this issue in manual or support area in their website. We are left abandoned.

My setup is similar as this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipLRNglTdhg with the exception that we used EG4-LL V2 in a closed loop communication with the Cerbo GX. The electric installation was done by a 25 years experience certified electrician.

This is my first experience with Victron and it has been a complete disaster.

Multiplus-II
10 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Charlie

There is nothing straight forward about a split phase Victron system. Wiring has to be on point among other things.

Did you split phase 120° or 180°

1 Like 1 ·
Charlie avatar image Charlie Alexandra ♦ commented ·

180° US split phase

0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Huh? It's not that bad. With 180° split phase, wiring is more flexible. Since the phases aren't sharing any load whatsoever, there is no mandatory reason for DC or AC cables to be the same length/resistance.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ snoobler commented ·
By wiring on point I was meaning not mixing the 120v/ 240v setup. And line and neutral feeds mixing among other small overlooked things.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

Also, make sure you are feeding split phase power (120/0/120 with 240 between the two hot legs). Spit phase configuration will not work with both legs in phase (0 volts between them). If you are feeding two legs of 3-phase power (208 between the legs), then the phase needs to be set to 120°, otherwise it should be 180°.

I believe VEConfig provides some additional status on why the Multis are rejecting the AC input.

1 Like 1 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Kevin Windrem commented ·

@Charlie

Yep was returning to say this as an after thought.

Victron connect will tell you the reason for the AC input not connecting or being ignored.

Also do you disable virtual switch/conditional AC input?

0 Likes 0 ·
Charlie avatar image Charlie Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Not getting any particular error message, just grid disconnect alarm.
0 Likes 0 ·
Charlie avatar image Charlie Kevin Windrem commented ·

Coming from the utility, I'm getting 120v in each leg (L1-120v & L2-120v) and 214v between legs instead of 240v. Does this means I'm getting 2 legs of 3-phase power? If this the issue you're a genius! Gonna set it to 120° split phase and see what happens. Will keep you guys posted. thx u Kevin.

0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler commented ·

To confirm these aren't the 2x models that intelligently handle changes between 30A and 50A shore power?

One inverter, "L1," is providing L1 and N and the other, "L2," is providing L2 and N.

On the input side, you have L1/N connected to "L1" L & N and L2/N connected to "L2" L & N?

You have disabled the ground relay on "L2"?

The N-G bond is properly done?

If any of the above is not in the affirmative, please elaborate.

0 Likes 0 ·
Charlie avatar image Charlie snoobler commented ·

Yes. All done as you stated. Groudn relay disabled in slave unit. Master enabled.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Post your schematic diagram. You do have a schematic diagram given that it was installed by a certified electrician, with 25 years experience.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.