question

Paul Carmichael avatar image
Paul Carmichael asked

Bus bars necessary?

The firm that sold me the new us3000cs and cabinet etc., tell me that I need to use 128 euros worth of bus bars, as the connections in my Quattro are overloaded. Is this right? Here we have a photo of how it is right now (and has been for 8 years):

20230620-123402.jpg

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Yeah. That’s not really how they are intended to be used. The wiring unlimited doc is pretty clear.

Its one of those “just because you can, doesn’t mean you should “ moments ;)

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Not the worst I have seen, but yeah.

Skip the battery cabinet and get the bus bar instead if budget is an issue. It is way more important.

It will allow better set up for current share on the battery bank as well. If you are planning on one big stack or even two then current sharing will become an issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

You can DIY the busbars for less money (using copper bars etc.), but it will take more space.

Two (or worse, even more than two) wire lugs on the same bolt should be avoided (especially when there is a high current through those wires).

2 |3000

Paul Carmichael avatar image
Paul Carmichael answered ·

Thanks all. I already have the busbars as they were shipped with the batteries and cabinet (flat pack). I'll fix them to the wall tomorrow and connect the lithiums to them. Then we're all ready for a quick changeover.

2 |3000

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

The thinner wires are from MPPTs? Do you have fuses for those?

4 comments
2 |3000

Paul Carmichael avatar image Paul Carmichael commented ·
No, should I? I've not seen anything written about fuses there. Each string of panels has a fuse. I don't really know why.
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 Paul Carmichael commented ·

Yes, the wires between the busbar and the MPPTs should be protected by separate fuses (each positive wire). As close as possible to the busbar.

The wires between the inverter and the busbar should be protected by fuses (positive wires).

The wires between the battery and busbars should be protected by fuses (positive wires).

In general, anything connected to the battery (directly or via a busbar) should be protected by a fuse (on the positive wire).

All fuses are sized according to the wire they are supposed to protect (meaning the fuse should burn well before the wire if the current is too high for that wire).

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul Carmichael avatar image Paul Carmichael seb71 commented ·
I've spent a ton of money on fuses. But it seems a tad over the top adding a fuse to a cable that is 1/2 metre long.
0 Likes 0 ·
Paul Carmichael avatar image Paul Carmichael Paul Carmichael commented ·
Just read the manual. The muppets have internal protection against short circuit or polarity reversal.
0 Likes 0 ·