question

Stijn avatar image
Stijn asked

Phoenix MultiPlus Compact 24/1600/40 goes immediately into alarm

Hi there,

Last night I noticed I did not have electricity anymore in my off-grid house. Checked the Phoenix MultiPlus Compact 24/1600/40 and the only active led was the alarm led, burning constantly.

Switched it off and on again after a few minutes, starts green with the top led and then after a few seconds, straight to the red alarm led, continuously. Had it rest for a night, tried again this morning, same thing.

Strange, has been working for years since April 2009, could usually remedy the problems but am lost now.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Stijn

alarm
7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Stijn avatar image Stijn commented ·

To be more precise, battery at 28V measured at the terminals in the inverter, load disconnected. The charging function does not work either when I turn on the generator.

Discovered something else...with the switch in the neutral off position, the charging led comes on when I turn on the generator but it does not come on when in either other position, being inverter or charger.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Stijn commented ·
@Stijn

A few more details will be needed here, such as what are the other system components.

I am leaning to ward you needing to opne the inverter and have a visual inspection, make sure it is clean inside.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stijn avatar image Stijn Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

The system is 8*330Wp on a self built solar tracker through a Victron MPPT 150/45, 3*175Wp on a manual solar tracker through a Victron MPPT 100/20, a 1kW wind generator with a MorningStar TriStar Solar controller TS60 configured in diversion charge control, batteries are 2nd hand forklift batteries. Batteries connected to the Victron 24/1600/40.

Opened up the inverter, all seems fine, not really dirty, nothing seems burned. Everything is mounted in a solid shed, apart from the house.

Hope this helps?

Thanks,

Stijn

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

Suspect that when the inverter is on and drawing/make power that the battery voltage is dropping and then you get a overload/ low voltage allarm. you must measure the voltage at the inverter itsself and take the reading just before the allarm occurs

0 Likes 0 ·
Stijn avatar image Stijn Paul B commented ·

Hey Paul, Alexandra.

Thanks for the answer. However, I did measure the voltage at the terminals inside the inverter. When I switch the inverter on, it starts 'green' (but not inverting yet, as in no current) and then after a few seconds immediately 'red'. Continuous red, not blinking.

Anyway, took it to the Victron dealer here, they will have a look at it, hope they can fix it and that it won't be an expensive fix.

Rebuild the entire system to 12V and am using a 12/1600/70 for now. All works well.

Thanks for your help,

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi all,

So, as said, I took the Phoenix to the shop, they had a look at it and the device has a short circuit somewhere. Not repairable. They offer me a discount on a new Victron device though.

Will keep you posted.

0 Likes 0 ·
So,

I heard back from the shop. Appears to be a short circuit on one of the boards, not repairable. Very sad but the machine had a long service life (2009).

However, they offered me a discount on a new Victron device, even when I did not buy the equipment through them. I did not even buy it myself, the previous, previous owner of my house did.

That is amazing service.

LCPower in Lisbon, Portugal for the win!

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic