question

jakudo avatar image
jakudo asked

NodeRed - homekit noob question

Hi,

I'm thinking about installing a NodeRed on my Cerbo GX. Since I'm a noob in this, I'd like to ask you for the possibilities before I install it.

Is it possible to achieve this via Node-red:

- to trigger a a switch (or whatever) in Apple HomeKit based on the amount of the energy which is going back to grid?

For example:

1. When there is more than 1 kW (sum of all 3 phases) going back to grid, turn on the water pump (swimming pool filtration pump in Apple HomeKit).

or

2. When there is no power from MPPT, turn of a light.

Are those examples doable in Node-Red on Cerbo GX?

Thanks,

Jakub

Node-RED
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
@jakudo

Moved to modifications space.

1 Like 1 ·
2 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Yes this is very achievable with node red.

I do the same for water heater when exporting but rather than communicating with Apple home kit I use local smart switches (shelly is the brand I like, as it's not reliant on external clouds, Http requests sends "on" signal to shelly smart switch).

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jakudo avatar image jakudo commented ·

I have to use HomeKit, since my whole home is based on it. I have many Sonoff and Shelly flashed to customers HomeKit enabled FW.

Thanks for the reply

0 Likes 0 ·
matt1309 avatar image matt1309 jakudo commented ·

I'm not clued up on homekit but I imagine they have an api that'll make it easy enough/similar to shelly/sonoff.

I have similar setup but I have multiple loads, if turn on load 1 if still exporting load 2 etc so can scale it really nicely in node red.

0 Likes 0 ·
jakudo avatar image jakudo matt1309 commented ·
yes, it is possible to manage homekit via Node RED, so I should have no problem with that (hopefully :D )
0 Likes 0 ·
Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) avatar image
Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) answered ·

Note that you should add some hysteresis in order to prevent the pump from switching off directly after it switches on (because the added pump will reduce the energy going back to the grid). You could use an example like this for acchieving that.

1 comment
2 |3000

jakudo avatar image jakudo commented ·
Yes, sure, of course. I expect that it will work something like the last 30 min average will be higher that 1 kW.

I just wrote it as simple question. In fact, I'd like to create it more sophisticated. However, I have to start somewhere :)

Thanks for the link. Seems very helpful.

0 Likes 0 ·