question

PeterM avatar image
PeterM asked

How to delay grid charging after Utility power is restored

Is there a way to delay charging from Utility once power is restored after a power outage - our area suffers from overloading after a power outage mainly due to most households having powerfull inverter chargers - when utility power is restored all the chargers kick which soon trip the utiility supply . One way to reduce the tripping is to delay charging by 15 -30 mins . Can one do this with A Victron Multiplus system ? I cannot find a way to do so as there dont seem to be any time based assistants

Multiplus-II
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·
At least some grid codes have a certain delay (for instance 15 minutes) between the moment the grid is restored and the moment MultiPlus connects it's AC In to the grid. This is in an ESS system.
0 Likes 0 ·
PeterM avatar image PeterM seb71 commented ·
Our grid code is only 1 minute , but thats not good enough.
0 Likes 0 ·
frans-v-s avatar image frans-v-s commented ·
Any further updates??? Having the same problem and was hoping for a simple improvement in the UI to accommodate charger delays.
0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

You could do something with node red if you have a Venus device

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

PeterM avatar image
PeterM answered ·

Anyone at Victron - can this feature please be implemented without fancy node red implementation , several suburb street level transformers are overloaded due to synchronous recharging from domestic inverter chargers after Power Outages in South Africa . If one can delay grid charging by up to 30 minutes this would alleviate further power blackouts

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@PeterM

Have you tried editing the "Reconnect power rate 100% per [600] seconds." (10 minutes) to something longer?

The other way is to limit your input current. That will slow charging based on your loads.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

There is nothing in the firmware that allows you to do this natively. I have previously discussed this as grid instability after loadshedding can cause problems.

Your choices are to install an external contactor like the Ziehl which has this ability but it is twice the price of a cerbo, excl installation costs.

Or get creative with automation in the cerbo, which is cheaper.

With the latter you could lower the input current limit when power is lost and raise it again X minutes after it returns.

0 Likes 0 ·
PeterM avatar image
PeterM answered ·

Even the Cheap Chinese brands have this feature 1690029966138.png

1690029966138.png (534.8 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@PeterM

That is grid reconnect time and yes, Victron can do that without needing to fiddle with grid codes.

I cant test the above idea I suggested but here is one I have used and tested.

You can alter the 300 seconds to however long you want.

1690042737053.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1690042737053.png (25.1 KiB)
Marc Heymans avatar image
Marc Heymans answered ·

You can definitely do it using the AC ignore/general flag function in the assistant tab

2 |3000

PeterM avatar image
PeterM answered ·

To try and send get that implemented for the general Victron user is too much. I personally have ESS running so not applicable to myself , I'm trying to find an easy solution for any victron user. Thats for the info though

2 |3000