question

nebc100 avatar image
nebc100 asked

Advice requested on how program Multigrid with MPPT solar on battery storage AND GRID

Hello all... Please forgive me if this is a silly question, but I would appreciate you assistance and advice on getting my system set up in the best way possible.

I have a MultiGrid 3000, and a SmartSolar MPPT solar Charge Controller. I have created my own 48V battery bank consisting of 4 12V deep cycle batteries in series.

These are attached to the battery terminals of the Multigrid.

I have also hooked the SmartSolar to the batteries so that it can charge them if there is enough solar.

So... to my question...

I would like to run as much as possible off batteries or solar, but SHOULD the battery level go lower than a certain level that the system then takes power from the grid, and uses solar (if there is any) to charge the batteries back up again.

I have used the "self consumption" assistant, and this seems to be working OK. It is using battery power, and solar power, BUT... if the solar power is not sufficient, and the batteries fail (or are disconnected), it is NOT failing over to GRID power.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any assistance you can give!!

Nick

MPPT SmartSolarmultigrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @nebc100

Pretend you're offgrid. You don't mention a GX device, but an offgridder then might use the Generator Start and Stop Assistant. It has the usual parameters to select from. Instead of starting a genset though, you could switch on the grid using the AC Ignore functionality (via General Flag/ACIN).

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes