question

leon-wildschut avatar image
leon-wildschut asked

Mppt 100/20 settings

Hey everybody,

I’m fairly new to this. So I could use a bit of help. I just got 2 100/20 mppt solar controllers. Using 2x100w panels per controller. And I have 3x180 ah flooded lead batteries (came with the boat). They will get upgraded eventually but for now they will have to do. My question is what settings do I need for my mppt controllers? Currently it’s on default (gel victron deep discharge 2).

I’ll attach the info I got from the manufacturer of the batteries. Thanks for the help!

kind regards,

Leon img-1936.png

MPPT Controllers
img-1939.png (1.2 MiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

leon-wildschut avatar image leon-wildschut commented ·

Current settings. What do I put in absorption, float, and equalisation? Or are they good as it is?

0 Likes 0 ·
img-1937.png (246.2 KiB)
3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Leon Wildschut

The Gel(2) setting should be fine. One small issue you have is multiple parallel batts, which may experience imbalance as they age. Pushing them hard will only worsen this, so you could consider going to the less aggressive Gel(1) profile. But you don't have massive solar power compared to the bank size, so Gel(2) should be ok.

The time you spend in Absorb state might be worth keeping an eye on. Anything above ~2 hours might be excessive and warrant further tuning. Come back if that happens and we'll take a deeper look.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

leon-wildschut answered ·

Thank you for your quick reply! So the problem was that we had a really deep discharge of the batteries before I installed the controllers and panels. So we have been in a bulk charge state for 5 days now. Yesterday was the first time the volt meter showed 12.8 volt on the batteries (don’t have a battery monitor yet, it’s on the way) today it showed 13.2 on the meter. One controller is still in bulk mode. The other one just switched to absorption as I am checking now haha.. so all should be good I guess?

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@Leon Wildschut

Yeh, you don't have big solar power there, so coming from a low SOC base can be painful. What you may find though is that your batts will be much more advanced in their charge state than you might think. Once they hit Abs V (+/- Temp Comp), have a look at the Amps they're accepting. If it's less than 3% (A/Ah, 16A for you) then they'll be pretty much done.

Great you have a shunt on the way (Victron one I hope), as the mppts can be networked to it, and drop to Float when the Tail setting is used.

0 Likes 0 ·
leon-wildschut answered ·

Getting float and absorption charges every day now! So that’s good I guess.. still fairly low voltage numbers though… so got to look into that.. other question I have is, is it safe to run my boat engine in combination with solar? With my current settings? I won’t overcharge the batteries? Or anything else funky? Thanks again!

2 |3000