question

manta avatar image
manta asked

Split phase generator and single phase shore connection

Onboard, i have a split phase generator (which i did no know) and i recently installed a Multiplus II 24/3000. The generator zero is connected to the hull, since i only use 230v. There is 120v between L1 and N and L2 and N there is 230v between L1 and L2.

Here in NL the shore connection is 230v ac single phase. On the output of the victron i have a GFCI breaker installed and 4 breakers after the GFCI.

The Shore connection is connected to a 5000Va isolation transformer. secondary is connected to a high current three way switch. (L1 & N) in the isolation transformer secondary side N is connected to the hull. There is no shore ground

When i put the switch on 1 the shore is connected to the Victron input. (Single Phase)

on imput 2 of the switch i would like to connect L1 & L2 of the generator for a 240v input

When i put the swich in pos 2 the generator is connected to the victron input (Split phase L1 & L2)

Can his be done? (Safe) so i can use the Victron and charge the lifepo4 battery from the genset when sailing? And will my GDCI still work.

The victron Neutral relais need to be disabled i think, otherwise 115v will be on the victron casing when genset in running.

When disabling ground relay using 230v from battery, there is no closed ground relay which is also a problem. Maby make a external ground relay which connect victron output N to ground when there is no ext power source?

What are my options? I am struggling with this question for some time, and affraid to start my genset at the moment.

Multiplus-II
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vakiri5184 avatar image vakiri5184 commented ·

Welcome to the Weis Customer Satisfaction Survey ... Upon completion of the survey, 100 weis rewards points will be loaded to your Weishttps://takesurvey.onl/weis-feedback-survey/ Rewards Card.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

In your first paragraph ...

L1-N=120v, L2-N=120v, L1-L2=230v Huh?

How does 120v + 120v add up to 230v ?

The generator output appears to be a USA 120v/240v Split-Phase configuration?

Also, what is " ... generator zero ... " ?

Is "generator zero" the Neutral Wire?

If you only use 230v, then is the Generator Neutral wire connected to any load?

Can you re-connect the generator to be exactly like NL power ... with one LEG grounded, the Neutral wire unused, and other LEG to power the loads. Or is the neutral wire of the generator bonded to the generator frame internally?

Would it be best to always have, NL style ... Neutral wire + Power Leg = 230v, with the neutral wire always bonded to the frame via the Multiplus PE relay, regardless of the source?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.