question

usernamepasswordbs avatar image
usernamepasswordbs asked

Guimods install with Putty

Hi all, I'm trying to install Guimods and as a windows user I need to use a SSH client (I'm using PuTTy) but when I paste the relevant Guimods wget line into Putty I get a load of illegible characters followed by "puttyputtyputtyputtyputty" going down the page.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is going wrong ?

Or if there is another way of installing that might work.

The cerbo is on v2.94.

Thanks,

gui mods
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

You can of course use the blind install mechanism which is part of SetupHelper. You put the venus-data.tgz file on a flash drive and plug it into the GX device and reboot. The GUI should restart and you should see PackageManager at the bottom of the Settings menu. You can then download and install GuiMods from there.

Of course, that assumes you have a local or remote GUI.

PackageManager will detect package .tar.gz files on removable media and move them to /data. Check the SetupHelper ReadMe for details on this.

There are other mechanisms described which may help install packages in a headless environment.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

usernamepasswordbs answered ·

Thanks for the pointers, I will try that and see.

I have a screen via VRM on the laptop so I don't think I'm headless but I haven't got a Colour Control.

2 |3000

An update:

I installed Bitvise instead of Putty and had the same problem except that the words printed all over the screen were "BitviseBitviseBitvise".

I tried again without the -q0 option in the wget line to download the file and it worked fine.

Soon after I had Guimods installed!

Next problem: I am working my way through the code instructions for installing an external relay and after restarting various services in venus as per the instructions and then rebooting the cerbo. It looked like a full reset happened as various things were back to factory settings. Package Manager is still in remote console/settings but it says it's not running and I can't see what to do to make it run.

More reboots have not helped.

1 comment
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
Try reinstalling SetupHelper
0 Likes 0 ·

Seems to have done another factory reset.

I will reinstall venus and reformat the usb stick and reload it.

2 |3000

I did all that and it's back on.

Sorry to keep bothering you with questions but I'm waiting for it to "initialise and restart". It's been a half-hour or so, should that take so long?

2 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
Not sure where you are seeing that message. Nothing in SetupHelper/PackageManger would take that long.
0 Likes 0 ·
usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs Kevin Windrem commented ·
It's on the Package manager menu when you "press to initialise".

It seems to be working ok though really, no actual symptoms as it were, other than that.

Thanks very much for your replies.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic