question

mm2306 avatar image
mm2306 asked

2 matched inputs victron 100/50

I have a victron mppt 100/50 that has 2 100w roof mounted panels connected to it. The person that installed it also wired the accessory panel plug on the outside of the camper to the same input as roof solar panels. If I have matching 2x 100w panels wired the same, is that the same as having the panels wired as series parallel? Any reason not to have power going like that from a matching panel set?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Mm2306 If I have matching 2x 100w panels wired the same, is that the same as having the panels wired as series parallel?

Yes you can parallel another 2 of the same panels.

First though you have to work out if the existing panels have been wired to the mppt as 2 series, or 2 parallel.

Have a look at the sticker on the panel for the Vmp voltage. Check what the mppt reports as the "solar voltage". If those 2 figures approximately match, wire your 2 additional panels as parallel.

If the mppt "solar voltage" is about double the panel Vmp, wire the 2 panels in series.

You might have some losses if the arrays point in different directions.

series-or-parallel-panels.png

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

We don't have enough information.

Are the existing pànels wired in series or parallel? If series and the outside plug is connected as you say, two more panels in series will give you the 2s2p configuration.

Couple of things to check.

Assuming same make model of panels from your identical comments, not just power matches.

Voc for each panel. With this make sure that the series combination of 2xVoc is well below 100V and cannot exceed it at your lowest local temperature.

Orientation /angle to sun should be the same for all panels

Make sure suitable cable size used..

Do not connect/disconnect without covering the extra panels first. Any connect/disconnect under load will cause arcing in the connectors and damage them.

2 |3000

mm2306 avatar image
mm2306 answered ·

Thank you for your inputs- here's a little more detailed info:

I have 2 gopower brand 100w panels wired in series to my mppt. Specs are not easily found and I am not the one who bought them, but I think I found correct numbers online. Specs: VOC 21.0V, Vmp 17.5, Imp 5.68, Inc 6.28. Typical readings on my solar output are 130w output (29-31v at 4.2-4.5a). I have seen as high as 180w output but not typical.

So the rest is a 2 part question. I want to add permanent panels similar in specs to roof (gopower panels are $5xx per panel, I'm not spending that) and have landed on Renogy 100w. Specs on that are: VOC 22.5, Vmp 18.9, Imp 5.29, and Isc 5.75. I will wire 2 of these panels in series and then connect them in parallel to my existing two. So these feed into the input on my MPPT. (First question, are these panels compatible enough with each other? I'm ok with not being maximum efficiency for the sake of saving $700)

2nd question. The exterior panel is a Zamp plug that the previous owner wired into the same input slot of the MPPT of the main panels. Is it OK to wire another 2 similar panel in series as accessory panels to plug into the samp plug that feed into the same input? Is it essentially the same as adding another parallel panel at the same junction as the other 2 series?

Sorry for the lengthy description, trying to be as specific as possible

1 comment
2 |3000

mm2306 avatar image mm2306 commented ·
Oops I guess I added an answer, please see my additional info and shed any light you have. Thank you!
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Mm2306 the Go Power panel has 32 cells and the Renogy panel has 36 cells.

You cannot mix those 2 types of panels on 1 mppt. The voltage difference is to much.

If you dont want to replace the Go Power panels, find some 32 cell panels that will have higher chance of the Voc & Vmp being similar.

Dunno what a Zamp connector is. Use either Anderson or MC4 connectors. Take note what @kevgermany has mentioned about connecting / disconnecting panels under load. Zap!!

2 comments
2 |3000

mm2306 avatar image mm2306 commented ·

When you say cannot mix those panels, you mean not ideal or will actually cause problems? I see people mix panels that have much larger differences in size/wattage/voltage etc and the only problem is you can end up with lower output depending on how they are wired. Is this what you mean? If so, I am not concerned with that as I can get 4 panels for the price of 1 and still be way ahead even if I have some inefficiencies in the system.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ mm2306 commented ·
Bottom line is that the extra panels will reduce output from the existing ones and the existing ones will cut the output of the new ones. It's because of the MPPT trying to control two sets of panels which require different behaviour for the MPPT.
0 Likes 0 ·