question

marinolab avatar image
marinolab asked

MPPT compatible with Pylontech batteries

Does anyone know which SUMRY brand MPPT 100V is fully compatible with Pylontech batteries and Victron MultiPlus 48 V inverters?

thanks

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Marinolab

By compatible do you mean do they communicate? No.

Is there a reason why you are not using the Victron one that is 100/20 48v. That would fully integrate with the use of the GX for DVCC and battwry coms would be best.

But will it charge your battery if programmed and set up correctly, yes.

Will you have a GX in the system? Would you be planning on using the 52v and 51v recommended by victron for charging on it?

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

marinolab avatar image marinolab commented ·

By compatible I mean that the MPPTs recognize the Pylontech batteries, which are included as a choice in the settings but mainly that they do not damage the aforementioned batteries which are extremely delicate.

Choosing MPPT not Victron is just an economic fact...I know it is better to install Mppt Victron.

I just want to know if anyone has mounted MPPT SUMRY compatible with pylontech

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ marinolab commented ·
You're wasting your money. The battery communicates to the GX, the GX uses DVCC to control the MPPT chargers. This absolutely doesn’t work with third party chargers. You are wasting your investment in Victron to use a cheap alternative and that question is best asked of their own support.
2 Likes 2 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ marinolab commented ·

I suppose SUMRY don't have helpful documents or a forum.... it is a question best directed to the manufacturer.

You are correct, batteries are a significant investment, it makes sense to look after them the best way possible. Some things are not worth risking.

1 Like 1 ·
marinolab avatar image
marinolab answered ·

Ok, but I tried the Victron configurator and I couldn't find the right Victron MPPT(s) for my system:

4 groups of 9 solar panels (each group produces 3000W 100V 30A)

2 MultiPlus 48V|3000VA|25AMP in parallel

3 Pylontech US5000 batteries (300Ah)

How many MPPTs and which Victron model would you fit?

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Send the make, model and specs and we can help. It will most likely be one or more RS450’s.
1 Like 1 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

@Marinolab

You were going to connect that many panels to a few 100v SUMRY MPPTs?

You will need quite a few MPPTs.

And you don't calculate pv power by multiplying the input voltage by the output amperage. It does not work like that.

30A (output of the sumry mppt) x 48v (nominal battery voltage of the system) is 1440W each. Totally would have wasted PV power.uskng those.

As @nickdb said. Post your PV module details we can help with sizing the victron mppts so you can make best use of your panels.

Don't sell yourself short.

1 Like 1 ·
marinolab avatar image
marinolab answered ·

Here is the system

impianto 4 slot.pdf

impianto-4-slot.pdf (142.9 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@Marinolab you are going to need a 150-45 mppt for each array.

You are going to need a series string fuse on the positive and negative of each string on each array. Total of 24 fuse/fuse assemblies. (Or string combiner boxes)

And as already mentioned, a GX device to pass control messages between the battery and mppt's.

1 Like 1 ·
marinolab avatar image
marinolab answered ·

Ok, thank you very much for the configuration work.

I would like to have the charge of the solar panels under control even remotely and I think that with the MPPT 150/45 tr I can only connect one charge regulator to the Color Control GX.

Is it necessary to use the VE.Can models to get the complete picture? If yes, which model?

I tried to enter it in the MPPT calculator but it says it is underpowered.

Thanks so much for your patience

4 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@Marinolab I would like to have the charge of the solar panels under control even remotely and I think that with the MPPT 150/45 tr I can only connect one charge regulator to the Color Control GX.

The CCGX can handle 5 VE Direct devices, 2 via VE Direct sockets, and 3 more via VE Direct > usb cables.

VE Can mppts can be used, the smallest 1 is 60a, more costly.

Have a play with the mppt calculator, you cant break it.

@ponzoa 4 strings of 9 panels on a MPPT RS450/200 would be good, no string series fuses, however it costs twice as muckh as 4 x 150-45 mppts.

@kevgermany the MPPT RS450/200 has 4 trackers.

1 Like 1 ·
ponzoa avatar image ponzoa klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
I would still install stringt fuses. Cost very little and protects your system.

If you add the cost of 4 MPPT and compare it to the one RS450/200, you'll find it more cost effective, especially if you add the reduced use of space, less use of cable, time, etc. The RS450/200 can provide 200A to the batteries so at least 70mm cable is required.

The unit is then connected to the Cerbo with a simple Cat5 patch cable which you can buy very cheaply almost anywhere.

1 Like 1 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ ponzoa commented ·

@ponzoa @Marinolab I would still install stringt fuses. Cost very little and protects your system.

Unless regulations require string fuses, avoid them. Technically not required even for 2 parallel strings.

If you add the cost of 4 MPPT and compare it to the one RS450/200, you'll find it more cost effective

Nope. The cost of a 450-200 is 78% higher than 4x 150-45 bluesloar, or 62% higher than 4 x 150-45 smartsolar. Prices compared with quality resellers in my market.

The unit is then connected to the Cerbo with a simple Cat5 patch cable which you can buy very cheaply almost anywhere.

Yes, the BOS (balance of system) costs need to be factored in. No need for string fuses? Win! Cheaper comms cables? Win! Higher costs for higher voltage isolators? Lose!

Nothing wrong with using a 450-200. It might cost more overall.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Thanks for the correction, I can be dumb. All too often.
0 Likes 0 ·
ponzoa avatar image
ponzoa answered ·

Use the MPPT RS450/200 and you can put the 4 strings in the one unit. They should connect with 70mm cables to a Lynx Distributor (fused at 250A) And the inverter and batteries connect to the same Lynx Distributor (fused).

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
There are only two trackers, so won't work.
0 Likes 0 ·
marinolab avatar image
marinolab answered ·

In Italy MPPT RS450/200 only 200 euro more than 4 mppt blue or smart solar 150/45...is not better?

1 comment
2 |3000

ponzoa avatar image ponzoa commented ·
Yes, in my opinion, the 450/200 is a better solution for this case.
1 Like 1 ·