question

dagheen avatar image
dagheen asked

Will smart MPPT 100/50 show an error if internal fuse blown?

screenshot-20230526-113946.jpgMPPT 100/50 undated firmware 4 days ago. Now will not charge. Do not know if related. System shows 65 volts in but no charging. I see current in PV input lines. Victron Connect is showing NO errors. I am stumped.screenshot-20230528-081734.jpg

MPPT Controllers
15 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@dagheen

Have you tired a power cycle?

Disconnect pv, disconnect battery.

Reconnect battery, check settings, reconnect pv.

You could also try a reset to defaults and then re program after that. If it is still not charging then there may be an issue internally.

How did you measure current in the PV? with clamp meter?

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@dagheen

I'm curious about your daily logged battery V's, Do you have something else charging at the same time?

2 Likes 2 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ JohnC ♦ commented ·
Definitely a better point there. Battery voltage is clearly going up each day, but the mppt has not provided the charge.
0 Likes 0 ·
dagheen avatar image dagheen Alexandra ♦ commented ·
I am running down battery during the day to insure I have a low enough voltage to warrant a charge load. I have measured up to 9.3 amps current on the solar wires leading into the MPPT.
0 Likes 0 ·
dagheen avatar image dagheen JohnC ♦ commented ·
yes, At end of day since no solar charge I plug is to grid.
0 Likes 0 ·
I have tried the reset to defaults and reprogram. I have also disconnected solar and unplugged from the battery to get a reset. I would expect some type of error if it is an internal fuse, but I see none.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ dagheen commented ·
@dagheen

You will need to try it with no other charge sources attached to the battery and with its voltage below the rebulk offset.

For a fuse to blow for no particular reason is unusual especially if it has been working.

Is the system networked somehow? Maybe remove it from the network. Something was upset firmware or set up wise after the firmware update.

There are further test instructions in this document.

0 Likes 0 ·
dagheen avatar image dagheen dagheen commented ·
Update. Again disconnected PV and battery leads. Wait 5 minutes. Hook up battery again. Reset defaults. Adjustment programming for my battery. Hook up PV leads again. Still no current.

Barrowed another camper's spare MPPT (different brand), hooked up identically while waiting the 5 minute reset. This spare MPPT started charging. Conclusion: I am secure with the wiring of my system, but I cannot get the Victron 100/50 to charge.
0 Likes 0 ·
dagheen avatar image dagheen dagheen commented ·
Forgot to mention that I measured the Amp reading through PV lines at Victron MPPT at 7.8 amps. Max for my system is 9.38 amps. I the lines show voltage and current, but something in Victron is not releasing this current for charge.
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 dagheen commented ·

After all those resets it should not be possible, but if not already done it, check in the MPPT settings if "Max charge current" is not set to 0A somehow and if the charger is enabled.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ seb71 commented ·

@dagheen

If you have done the pre rma tests in the documentation I linked and troubleshooting as far as you can, its time to take it in for a warranty claim.

Weird there is no error. Not totally weird that there is current in the PV side but not going down to the battery. The victron can short the input to prevent charge. But normally that would give a charger off state or error message as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
Thanks for all your comments.
0 Likes 0 ·
dagheen avatar image dagheen seb71 commented ·

All setting appear correct. Let me know if you see something wrong.screenshot-20230528-124438.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 dagheen commented ·
The settings look OK.

Most likely the MPPT is defective.

0 Likes 0 ·
dagheen avatar image dagheen seb71 commented ·
Thanks for your help.
0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers