question

gridlock avatar image
gridlock asked

MPPT Load Shuts Off Immediately

I have the SmartSolar MPPT 100V 20 amp 48-Volt Solar Charge Controller that is connected to a 50ah LIPO battery and connected to an audio amplifier via its load terminals. I measured an amp draw of 1.75 DC amps while connected directly to the battery, although I'm not sure what the initial surge current is. The controller turns off the load instantly when I try to power the amp via its load terminals. The amp works fine directly connected to the battery. The problem occurs whether I have the panel connected or not. It does work OK with a much smaller load, such as a small motor.

I've seen lots of posts about this problem, but don't understand how to solve it. Does this need some type of soft-start circuitry such as an NTC thermistor? If so, how do I determine the value and where do I purchase? Or what about a circuit which powers the amp from the battery initially, and then transfers power to the controller? Also, some other controllers have a setting to turn off the load shutoff monitoring, but I don't see that with this one.

I've having trouble understanding why this isn't something built in to the controller itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

in rush current
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@gridlock With a 48v battery the mppt's load terminals have a max current draw of 1a.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gridlock avatar image gridlock commented ·

Thanks for the response. But one amp? I don't understand why the limit would be so low, since the amp works perfectly fine connected directly to the battery. I thought I read that the limit is 15a. I am using a 12v LIPO batter BTW.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ gridlock commented ·

@gridlock

At 12v you should be able to run a 20a load. It is in the tech specs. Strange the whole controller switches off, are you sure your battery can produce the current needed?

What kind of amp? Does it have a big caps bank in it?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic