question

chrispendl avatar image
chrispendl asked

Dynamically Adjust Generator Charging Current Based On Solar Yield

Is it possible to dynamically adjust the charging current from the generator based on solar yield? For example, the ideal charging current for my batteries is 300A (which is what the quattos are currently set at). When it's sunny outside, I'd like the quattros to reduce the generator charging current to maintain the 300A charging current to the batteries. I'm using two quattros, a cerbo and a Smart Solar Charge Controller.

Thanks in advance!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerMPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @chrispendl - you can do this using the limit charge current feature set in the DVCC menu of the Cerbo GX.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chrispendl avatar image
chrispendl answered ·

Works like a charm. Thanks, Guy.

If I have alternators charging through a Smart Shunt (they show up as a negative value in DC Power on the Cerbo when running), will it also adjust this? Currently, I can't run the generator and the engines simultaneously because they will overcharge the batteries.

Thanks again.

2 comments
2 |3000

This mechanism only works for Victron inverter/chargers including Inverter RS, Multi RS and Solar chargers incl. MPPT RS.

Other chargers, such as Skylla-i’s are not controlled and also their charge current is not taken into account. The same applies for devices that are not connected to the GX device, such as an alternator.

The total charge current of the inverter/chargers and all MPPT solar chargers will be controlled, nothing else.

Any other sources will be extra charge current, unaccounted for. Even when installing a smartshunt.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

I think that may be incorrect/out of date information - now it is possible for DVCC charge current limit to compensate for other charge sources if there is an additional SmartShunt or BMV set to 'DC Meter' monitoring charge current from that source.

Refer to 8.4.1 particular #3: https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/CCGX/en/dvcc---distributed-voltage-and-current-control.html

screenshot-20230526-230101-chrome.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
chrispendl avatar image
chrispendl answered ·

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing. I will give this a try.

2 |3000