question

dbetty1309 avatar image
dbetty1309 asked

Trouble re-locating the shunt BMV 702

I have 2 battery banks 1 house and 1 engine. I am trying to monitor the house bank. I have been unable to locate the shunt so that it will properly read both the charging and discharging amperage. The house bank is large 1,000 amp hours and split into two locations to facilitate short cable runs with large cables for bow and stern electric thrusters. Its changed by and inverter and or engine alternator. All negative cables (house and engine) run to a common buss (see picture). I need to capture the amperage draw out of the house bank from both locations and the charge from the inverter and or alternator as the case may be. I am confused about how to try and capture all this without rewiring the boat and splitting that buss.

BMV Battery Monitor
0608190858a2.jpg (1.4 MiB)
0609190839i2.jpg (1.0 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi. I'm a little fascinated. The bus you depict appears to be the +ve bus, given what appears to be a fuse and isolators. Plus a very tidy installation and probably correctly coloured wires.

Your BMV shunt is likely at the end of the black wires, near at least one set of your batts. Whether that's set up right for you is another matter. Maybe delve a little deeper, given your thread title.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dbetty1309 avatar image dbetty1309 commented ·

Sorry my title was misleading (I have revised) I know where the shunt is now. However in order to properly read all incoming and outgoing current I need to somehow isolate those negative leads. The obvious answer is to spilt that buss but trying to avoid that

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ dbetty1309 commented ·

Just to be clear to all, I was only looking at the 2nd pic. I'm just confused now.. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
dbetty1309 avatar image
dbetty1309 answered ·
  • Problem solved .... trace out every ground, split the buss and re-locate shunt

0628192000a.jpg (2.1 MiB)
2 |3000