question

martinmariameja avatar image
martinmariameja asked

Smart Solar MPPT 75/15 not always charging?

Hi, I try to understand why I dont get any charging in below circumstances? Full sun but with an angle not optimal, but I should get something? I have normal lead acid batteries, appr. 400 Ah and two 50W panels. Thanks/Martin

smart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Hi,

The PV voltage has to be 5+volts above the battery voltage before the charge controller can start charging the batteries.

What panels do you have?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

martinmariameja avatar image martinmariameja commented ·

Aha, I was not aware. My previous MPPT did not have that threshold. Any reason for having it? Can I change the threshold? Same for 24V or is it then 10V? It’s two Sunbeam 50W Flush.

Many thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Rewire the 2 panels to be in series - this will double the voltage and avoid this issue in future.

Also, I think that you will need more than 100w of solar to keep up with a 400Ah battery bank.

3 comments
2 |3000

martinmariameja avatar image martinmariameja commented ·

Yes, I will double my solar panels to 200 W. You think a 24V system will start charging earlier?

Many thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ martinmariameja commented ·

I'm not sure if you mean 24v battery or solar, but the MPPT 'wake up' logic is always consistent at battery voltage +5v, regardless of the setup. Then only +1v is required to keep it active.

With your current MPPT you can run a peak solar voltage of upto 75v.

With MPPT You should always design to have the solar voltage significantly higher than battery voltage for best results.

This also helps with power loss in the solar cables and enables smaller size cable to be used.

Regarding your proposal to upgrade to 200w. That's better but probably still not enough for a 400Ah battery bank. Roughly speaking, for a properly designed system you need about 1000w of solar & a larger charge controller.

During bulk phase it's generally recommended to charge at a current of 10% to 20% of your battery capacity - so for a 400Ah bank thats 40A to 80A, but your charger has a max charge current of 15A max... (confirm what's recommended / allowed for your particular batteries by referring to the specific data sheet).

0 Likes 0 ·
martinmariameja avatar image martinmariameja Mark ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks Mark, fully understood. It's still a 12 V battery system, wrong thinking from my side. I will for sure change to series. 200W is maximum space I have for panels. I might be able to place a portable panel at my canvas, but I'll try with 200W first.

Many thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic